Does Beersmith have a brew log?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foam_top

Reaction score
Does Beersmith have a brew log in compliment to the recipe designer? I've been playing around with different software and one thing I really like about Brewtarget is that you can right-click the recipe and choose a brew date from a calendar; this creates a "child" recipe log where you can input your pre-boil, post-boil, and fermentation info without altering the original (template) recipe.

I've found the recipe "notes" section in Beersmith but I was hoping for something arranged more categorical and preferably by brew date.

Brewtarget.PNG

You can also create folders in the My Recipes/main page of Beersmith. Then, cut/paste the old version of the recipe and assign a new version number (and date) to the new recipe on the design page.

I can copy/paste each recipe and append the brew date to the recipe name and use folders to organize. That's good to know. Now, is there any dedicated place where I can record things like preboil SG, OG, FG, and anything that could differ from Beersmith's estimations... or is this info something I have to manually record in the "notes" tab?

Brew log was what I attempted to describe. I always put the date at the beginning of the recipe name. This naming convention gives me enough information so I don't change the recipe version number.

If one wants the folder structure shown by the original poster then I don't believe this ability exists in BS.

Last edited:
The answer is yes, it has a brew log folder where you can put copies of recipes to be brewed or already brewed. Each recipe is saved as an individual file for archival purposes to preserve the session data collected during that brew date. Therefore, it does not have the structure as you showed above but it does give you a place to put recipes which have been brewed separate from the parent recipe. Depending upon how you want to structure subfolders under the brew log, you can set it up in similar fashion, but not as slick or self contained.

The way I do it is that I create folders for beers I brew over and over again, so they're easy to find later. Every time I'll make a new version of a beer I open the last version, and click "save as", and input name which also contains new version number in the name, then edit that new version of the beer for upcoming batch.

Well I think that about sums it up. Thank you all for your input. It seems that BS does what I want just not in the way I expect or prefer. But I might stick with it just because the recipe creation seems superior to everything else I've used. I'm still using the trial version so I will play with it a little longer. Thanks again.

Back