WLP400 Stuck Fermentation—More yeast? Bottle dregs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aceofnone

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to brewing—eight brews in. I have my first stuck fermentation (I think). I brewed a wheat beer extract kit three weeks ago, then pitched a one-liter starter of WLP400. OG 1.054; my first post-start-of-fermentation gravity reading was yesterday—SG was 1.020; I shook the carboy pretty well a few times (trying not to aerate); today's SG reading is the same. I've read WLP400 is a slow fermenter, but three weeks seems like a long time compared to my other brews.

First—If it is stuck—if it doesn't pick back up in the next day or two of shaking—should I pitch more WLP400, or maybe WLP410? Or another strain to finish it off? Any suggestions?

Second—If it would turn out well, I'd sour the beer. I've wanted to try brewing a sour anyway. What if I threw bottle dregs from a Jester King Bonnie the Rare (lacto soured Berliner weisse; unpasteurized and unfiltered) into the fermenter? Worth a try, or is that just a dumb idea?

Thanks in advance for helping a new guy.

its tough to say whether its really stuck or not. it could just be the '1.02 extract curse' that seems to rear its head fairly often. how does it taste? if it tastes wort-y still, adding more yeast could help, but you generally would want to add from an active starter. you could also try adding in a lil nutrient, sugar, and/or increase the temp to wake up the yeast

a sour wit would definitely work well if you want to go that route. you'll just need to wait a few months longer if you use those dregs (lacto will be slow post-ferment & your IBUs may inhibit as well). brett would work well too, but thats funky not sour.

DCP and Dan, thanks for the replies.

I was glad to come home tonight to find slow airlock activity. Since I haven't given the carboy a shake in ~12 hours, I'm hoping the yeast woke up from a nap, and are going back to work. If it doesn't finish up in a week or two (with occasional stirring), then I'll pitch some WLP410 to help finish it up.

Again, thanks for the help.

How does the beer taste? Often people get too caught up on numbers and don't bother to actually taste the beer. If it tastes good then it doesn't matter what the numbers say. Having said that you didn't mention temp. control which would help with the 1.20 curse...

WLP099 will unstick anything. Also, I'm sure you've heard of the mysterious phenomenon where extract beers get stuck at 1.020. It happened to me many times as an extract brewer, and really pissed me off.

I did another gravity test—Same as before; stuck at 1.020 at 72.2F.

Michael, I tasted the sample and, while it tastes like beer, it could be better. I think I'm going to pitch a different yeast to get it to finish out.

So—What kind of yeast should I pitch. I'm making a WLP550 Beligan Ale Yeast starter right now. Could I use 550 Ale yeast? Or would it be better to pitch another wheat yeast like WLP410, or a Wyeast equivalent? I'd rather the beer come out good than cut corners.

Also—Should I rack to secondary when I re-pitch? Since the WLP400 seems to have zonked out, will it impart off flavors if the beer sits on it for another couple weeks (about six weeks total)?

Thanks again for all the responses.

The WL400 stall issue I have never had. I just had a 1.058 beer drop to 1.014 without a starter--just a vial. I pitched at 72 and kept it there. It was a hybrid Belgian wit/IPA and it couldn't be better. :)

Latest posts

Back