My STC-1000 Build - Will I burn my house down?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonnieZ

Reaction score
Built my STC-1000 to turn my spare chest freezer into a fermentation chamber. It's probably one of the smallest chest freezers one can buy, so I'm guessing it will run about 7-8 amps when cooling.

My electrical theory skills are good, and wiring the circuit was no issue, however household AC scares the hell out of me. All the junctions are in shrink tube and are soldered, and the connections to the power connector on the bottom of the unit are soldered as well. The wires are screwed to the posts on the side of the AC outlet.

I snagged the wire for the internal wiring from an old computer power cord.

Amatures and experts - From what you can see here does this build look solid? It operates as expected, I'm just worried about running it unattended.

stc1.jpg

stc2.jpg

stc3.jpg

stc4.jpg

Thanks,
- DZ

Looks good, but I'd get rid of that 2 strand lamp cord or whatever it is. Seen some of that stuff short out and melt when I worked in that biz.

Best,

I think you're referring to the copper colored wire in there? That's some 18 gauge speaker wire that's going to the 1/8" jack I installed for the temperature probe. The probe is low voltage / low current so I'm not so much worried about that.

You shouldn't have to guess about the running load amps of the freezer, it should be stated on the data plate as RLA.

Back