Do I need to wait with a smack pack if I'm using it in a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacster

Reaction score
Simple question. The yeast is Wyeast Bohemian Lager 2024. I was going to use it in a 2L starter on a stir plate for a 5g batch. It almost doesn't make sense to wait for it to swell since I'm giving it 2 days to multiply anyway.

The nutrient bag is a marketing thing to reassure folks that do not make starters that the yeast is active. It does not reflect on proper pitch size.
So, pop the bag - no sense not using it - and dump it all in your flask...

Cheers!

Given that it was about an hour from the time I asked it had already swelled to where it was obviously good. I've pitched all and it is happily spinning.

Before I started I tried out my stir plate which has been sitting in a box for 3-4 years unused and I just couldn't get the pill to spin for longer than a second until it kicked off. I then finally had success when I sped it up. When I put the actual starter together and plugged it in again it started right up first time! I always expect to need to start it up again after I've left it overnight but I never have had it fail.

My stir plate kept working through the night, but then at around 3pm or so the magnetic pill spun out. By that time though the most active fermentation had stopped and the vortex was reaching the bottom again.

Back