Boy do I ever love Lagunitas...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DerCribben

Reaction score
Every time I try a new beer from those guys it just reaffirms my belief that we are a million percent on the same beer page. After reading Tony Magees book I'm just that much more of a fan. Anyone here been to their beer sanctuary in Petaloma? Wish I was in California right now so I could check it out...

I haven't been (not in CA), but I have tried four of their beers. The DIPA was quite good as was the IPA. The other two I tried samples of in a grocery store and both were good, though I though don't recall the names / styles they were now off the top of my head.

My standby beer has become their "Maximus" IPA, close second is a tie between their "Lagunitas Sucks" ale and their "Lil' Sumpin' Sumpin'", and their "Hop Stoopid" comes in close third. I just tried their "Undercover Shutdown" ale last night and at 9.4% I can't (read: shouldn't) drink a ton of em but good lord they are delicious.

I was just in Petaluma on Friday but, unfortunately, I didn't have time to stop. They make great beer and must be doing something right on the distribution side as well, I'm starting to see their beers on tap in more places.

The Czech Pilsener is outstanding.

Their story is a pretty good one, if you have a chance I'd pick up a copy of Tony Magees book "So you want to start a brewery" it's pretty entertaining and tells the story from beginning to present.

I have yet to try the Pilsner but I really need to

Glad this thread got started. I used to be a pretty big Sierra Nevada fan (still am), but Lagunitas has surpassed them. Nothing I've had that they've made has been bad. Agreed, Hop Stoopid is excellent, same with Maximus, but the Undercover Shutdown is simply fantastic. As long as you only drink a couple of them. After that, you run the risk of sleeping on the couch, royally p*ssing off swmbo.

Haven't had a beer of theirs that isn't awesome. Really looking forward to their new brewery and taproom in Chicago.

I haven't had a beer of theirs I didn't like, that being said, with a beer like Maximus I don't know why their regular IPA is their flagship.

I'm going to crack an undercover shutdown...

I just had a Maximus also, thinking about having another undercover now...

We still have a few sixxers of the sucks to be found. I definitely love that stuff also. Never had the WTF, but that is probably going to be coming home with me next weekend along with some more Undercover...

As has been said a few times, I have not had a Lagunitas beer that I didnt like. Their Imperial Stout is amazing too. Those guys are doing something right!

davekippen said:
As has been said a few times, I have not had a Lagunitas beer that I didnt like. Their Imperial Stout is amazing too. Those guys are doing something right!

Read the book if you haven't, hey, if you have a kindle they let people "lend" their copy of kindle books out every (?) weeks/months/etc I'd happily lend my digital copy to anyone who wants to read it. It's short, sweet, and communicates a zillion percent that Tony Magee is just a homebrewer that is making beer he loves (by the 600bbl fermenter!) for everyone who wants to drink it.

Seriously, have a kindle, first come first serve I'll lend it if you want it...but if you love it you should buy a copy too...

Sucks is awesome, but the more beer I have from these dudes, the more tired I get of the candy flavor in some of their beers. Where the dry beers at!?

How hoppy is it? I can look at ibu, but really how hoppy is it?

WTF and Brown Shugga were good.

Dammit!! I just checked and they don't have lending enabled!! Arrrggghhhh! Sorry man, I wish I had known that before!!

image-2719781689.jpg

Their beers are pretty hoppy, but they definitely seem to like their late additions because the bitterness is "just right" while the aroma and flavor is over the top.

As far as the candy beers, I tend to dig the (reasonably) sweeter beers, big fan of the DFH 90 AND 120. Honestly, if a major brewer brewed and filtered my DC Experimental IIPA, it would almost be a clone of the Undercover Shutdown. I am not a big fan of barleywines and super sweet beers though

I would agree that they make some tasty beer.

My dad tipped me off to the Undercover Shutdown after he sampled some at a brew fest last year. I finally came across a sixer Friday and snatched it up without a second thought. It's almost nirvana in a bottle. Seriously one of the best beers I've drank and now I must find more! Heck, my wife, who doesn't drink beer often (she tastes most of what I drink) loved it too!

How hoppy is it? I can look at ibu, but really how hoppy is it?

WTF and Brown Shugga were good.

To be honest, I have not had a lot of Imperial Stouts to compare this to, but to me it seemed hoppy. Not over-the-top hoppy, but definitly enough to know they put plenty of the green goodness in there.

You all are making it hard to stay at work; I have a sixer of Shutdown in the fridge at home.

On a side note I have had lunch down the street twice before looking up where they are located! :smack:

All my latest attempts to get back up to Petaluma for the last year have failed.

We're moving to San Diego in Sept, you can count on it that we'll be driving up every so often to spend a weekend.

Picked up a six pack of Shutdown last night. It was ok, I felt it could have used more hops. I've also had their IPA which was also just ok to me. On the other hand, I've tried their Sucks which was damn good, I think they really nailed that one.

Try Maximus or Hop Stoopid. I'm not the biggest fan of their regular IPA either. Shutdowns point is being nice and hoppy but most importantly a damn strong beer. I'm just waiting to try out their Hairy Eyeball whenever that comes out again...

I stop by the Petaluma place every now and then. It's great. You can bring your dog and sit outside in the sun. They have great beer on tap and the food is tasty. All in all, my favorite brewpub.

I stop by the Petaluma place every now and then. It's great. You can bring your dog and sit outside in the sun. They have great beer on tap and the food is tasty. All in all, my favorite brewpub.

Stopped in there a few months ago for the first time. Awesome place. Great food and atmosphere. As much as I love their beer that I can get here, fresh from the brewery is just outstanding.

Well, until I can make it up to Petaluma myself to taste this stuff directly from the company tap...this'll have to do :)

image-1452303451.jpg

If you can get lucky 13 it's my favorite from them. Little sumpin is a staple in my beer diet too.

Just had a great lunch and some great beers there today... I don't think I'll ever be able to move away from Petaluma... I practically live at Lagunitas!

Nothing like heading down to the garden with my dog on a summer's afternoon. I don't mean to boast, but I can't tell you how great it is to be 5 minutes from the best brewery in the world.

IMHO

:mug:

The best thing of a Philly winter? Lagunita's Sucks arrives! :D Now, does anyone have a clone recipe? Please??!

Back