DMS in a starter? Kveik yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckybeagle

Making sales and brewing ales.
Reaction score
I am brewing a 5 gallon batch of 1.080 OG "tripel" today with 100 pilsner malt that I'll be fermenting with a starter of Loki Imperial Yeast. I just made the 1200ml starter from DME and pitched in the yeast. It just occurred to me that I'll likely be pitching at high krausen in about 6 to 8 hours (unless it really does ferment crazy fast), and that DME could be an issue in the finished beer. Is it? Or is it really no different than pitching a fully fermented starter without decanting (which I do all the time)?

I know Kveik yeast can be drastically underpitched, but I thought I'd aim for a low-normal ale pitch on this first attempt just to cut down lag time. I'm trying to have something kegged and drinkable within a week, and am just now beginning to experiment with the supposedly "crazy fast" Kveik yeasts.

Thoughts?

You mean, pitching any unfermented DME based beer from the starter along with the yeast? It comes down to 1.2 liter of half fermented DME beer in 21 liters of Pils? That's only 5.4%.
I doubt you'd ever notice.

You could use Pilsen Light DME, instead.
I do. ;)

Ugh, I was super distracted when I posted earlier. Oops! I meant DMS. Any surviving DMS in the 1.2L starter that could impart a cooked corn flavor given the super simple grist bill of this batch. Is that likely to be an issue? I'm guessing not since a lot of people pitch at high krausen and don't boil their starter wort longer than 15 mins... I'm probably being overly cautious and concerned about nothing!

Edit: I used Pilsen Light DME for the starter, FWIW!

Ugh, I was super distracted when I posted earlier. Oops! I meant DMS. Any surviving DMS in the 1.2L starter that could impart a cooked corn flavor given the super simple grist bill of this batch. Is that likely to be an issue? I'm guessing not since a lot of people pitch at high krausen and don't boil their starter wort longer than 15 mins... I'm probably being overly cautious and concerned about nothing!

Edit: I used Pilsen Light DME for the starter, FWIW!
Why would there be a significant amount of DMS in extract? The stuff has been boiled, then was condensed at the maltsters.

I've never smelled DMS when heating or boiling extracts for making yeast starters. I usually boil 2-4 batches worth, 1.5-1.8 liters each, of starter wort in a large pot. Anywhere between 3 and 7.2 liters. If there was any DMS, it would have shown up there.

FWIW, I boil the starter wort for about 3-5 minutes, lid on for the last minute or so. Then chilled in sink or plastic tub filled with cold water.

Any actual DMS still present in the wort they make DME from (which as The Lizard has correctly pointed out has already gone through a ful boil) will completely evaporate during the spray drying process. Any DMS-precursor that might be left over from an insufficient boil will not be able to do any harm as you need heat to convert it to actual DMS and since you're pitching the starter into (hopefully!) already cooled wort this simply cannot happen.

Back