DIY Stir Plate Magnet Experiences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvalentino3

Reaction score
Happy Saturday everyone!

I am putting together my stir plate since I have 90% of all of the parts needed at my disposal.

I pulled the magnets out of an old hard drive, they're very strong! But gluing both of the them to my 120mm fan cases the fan to rub or be off balance.

I have since glued down just one magnet to the center. This doesn't appear to be throwing the dynamics of the fan off at all!

Has anyone had success with just a single hard drive magnet? I fear it could be too weak as I have not tested out yet inside my project box

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

cvalentino3, you should be fine with just one hard drive magnet on your fan. i built two stir plates w/80mm fans and one old hd magnet taped to each fan w/double back tape in a cigar box almost two yrs ago and have no problems pulling a vortex w/a 1" bar. just keep your gap from magnet to magnet as close as possible and you should be fine, pic's when done would be great. when i can get the chance i will try to pst my pic's of mine. Brew on.
David.

Back