DIY high cfm exhaust vent

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akroessler

Reaction score
Hello fellow brew family!

I am looking to build my own High cfm exhaust vent/hood and I need some help.

Looking for under 1k if possible (I know this stuff adds up quick) and something that will work for small spaces as overhead in my basement is limited. I don't mind Jerry rigging something, I don't need it to be pretty, just work well. My brew stand is a NG 3 burner, 10 jet tip ea and it's a monster. Just need to work on air flow. Any ideas or pointing in the right direction would be extremely appreciated.

I'll attach a picture of the stand for a size reference.

image.jpg

check my build thread in my sig for mine..
Mine is also using the Amazon 440CFM fan and the box is totally built with 2x4s, nails, some mending plates and lined with plastic from the big box store.
Works great and I dry walled it into the building so it looks like part of the brew shed.
Keeps everything sound as a pound on brew day in the brewshed.

:rockin:

Last edited by a moderator:
check my build thread in my sig for mine..
Mine is also using the Amazon 440CFM fan and the box is totally built with 2x4s, nails, some mending plates and lined with plastic from the big box store.
Works great and I dry walled it into the building so it looks like part of the brew shed.
Keeps everything sound as a pound on brew day in the brewshed.

:rockin:

I was doing some reading and based on my stand whatever thread I found, I needed something crazy like 1700 CFM or something like that. Not sure how accurate that is

I was doing some reading and based on my stand whatever thread I found, I needed something crazy like 1700 CFM or something like that. Not sure how accurate that is

Yeah, probably. What's the btu rating for each burner? I'm guessing pretty high.
You may even need a powered make-up air supply system.

ah, i didn't notice the gas setup in the original pic, i assumed electric. mine is electric and the hood takes away primarily moisture plus a little bit of heat from the liquid itself. if you have burners, you will have a LOT more heat to deal with, 1700 cfm doesn't sound that crazy.

It's not the heat so much as the combustion gases.
This is why more indoor brewers are using electric systems.
It may be cheaper to convert your rig to electric than to try and run gas indoors.

Yeah, probably. What's the btu rating for each burner? I'm guessing pretty high.
You may even need a powered make-up air supply system.

Each tip is rated at 10k btu. So 100k each burner. I was looking at the industrial fans but they're just so damn big lol

Each tip is rated at 10k btu. So 100k each burner. I was looking at the industrial fans but they're just so damn big lol

For gas needs, Take total BTU used at once (peak BTU), and divide by 30. That will vent combustion gasses and steam from the brewing.

For electric, take peak watts of heating element, divide by 17.5.

So 100k btu of gas would need 3.3k CFM of sucking power. Thats a helluva lot power.

For gas needs, Take total BTU used at once (peak BTU), and divide by 30. That will vent combustion gasses and steam from the brewing.

For electric, take peak watts of heating element, divide by 17.5.

So 100k btu of gas would need 3.3k CFM of sucking power. Thats a helluva lot power.

Jesus Christ. Lmao guess I'll just cut a big hole in my basement, call it a day.

Jesus Christ. Lmao guess I'll just cut a big hole in my basement, call it a day.

I looked into it as well. I wanted a gas system in my basement, but the exhaust was ridiculous. I am trying to save up for an electric system now. at 5k watts for the heater you'll only need 285 CFM

With clean-running burners, it is indeed almost all about the heat.
When I run my rig in my shop due to weather I run a 1200cfm squirrel cage pulling through 8"d ductwork, with cross-ventilation from an open window...

Cheers!

With clean-running burners, it is indeed almost all about the heat.
When I run my rig in my shop due to weather I run a 1200cfm squirrel cage pulling through 8"d ductwork, with cross-ventilation from an open window...

Cheers!

Think I coul see a picture to see what I could be dealing with? I've never had issue with fumes or anything. Just gets hot as hell and humid in my basement so that's what I'd be most concerned with. It's natural gas I just hooked up to my house line. They burn perfect dark blue with no issue.

Anyone know of a fan that's capable of these higher CFMs and is semi compact/will connect to some kind of duct work

Next time I'm stuck indoors I'll take some pictures as the ventilation apparatus comes down when not needed as it's in the way otherwise.

But, fwiw, basically I replace a large inside window screen with a solid plywood panel with the squirrel cage style blower flange attached and firing out. Then I attach round ductwork to the blower input to run across the shop ceiling to tees above the BK and HLT with drops to just above the two vessels, with large register boxes at the ends.

The blower was originally for a homemade dust collector but I eventually ended up with a commercial unit so I re-purposed the blower. I'll have to find the make/model number but iirc it's pretty much the biggest Dayton unit they make for 110VAC...

Cheers!

Shoot, I totally forgot about this thread. I should have the ducts set up again in a week or so and I just stuck a Post-it note to the blower to snap some pics...

Cheers!

Back