DIY grain bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For BIAB, the bag should be large enough to fill the kettle. The general rule is you should be able to fit the kettle into the bag.

What I did was buy some sheer nylon curtain fabric (voile), cut it into a circle large enough to gather up and enclose the kettle, fold and sew the edge to make a pocket, and thread a nylon rope through as a drawstring. Actually, I did the first and last steps and "helped" my wife do the rest.

It works great for me. I did an ESB last weekend with a 9.25 lb grain bill in my 15 gal kettle and achieved 77% efficiency, malt conditioned and ground on a Corona.

I know this thread is a few months old...my apologies.

lustreking...is this the panel you bought: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Canopy-Sheer-Crushed-Voile-Window-Panel-Arctic-White/12174271

The one above is 100% polyester. I see people buying nylon fabric. Is there a differnce?

Thanks,

John

Here is a video which will show you how to make a hop bag using a paint strainer. Essentially the same thing . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Back