DIY: Beer Engine stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Paul Stoddard

Reaction score
Was out Googling Beer Engines.

Found this nice design for a Beer Engine Stand. Really like the idea.I can make it so the beer engine is the same Height as my Ceramic Beer Towers.

Also like the Firkin stand that goes with it.
Anyone ever built anything similar?

Beer Engine.JPG

I love that idea. I had been looking at trying to make a bigger stand... never even thought about making something like this that is smaller and more portable.

I love that idea. I had been looking at trying to make a bigger stand... never even thought about making something like this that is smaller and more portable.

I never thought of anything like this either to be honest. I have always pictured in my mind the engine on the bartop like this.

Beer Engine on a Bartop .jpg

OK. It's fun that even after three years, I'm still learning (and HBT does most of the teaching) about beer. I'd never heard of the idea and history of cask ales until I did some Wikipedia-ing after totally failing to understand what's going on in this thread.

JUST TO MAKE SURE I GOT THIS RIGHT: a beer engine is basically just a hand pump that moves beer from a cask to your glass, instead of using CO2 pressure, and the idea behind THAT is that in sticking to only the natual carbonation in the cask, the result is a smoother tasting brew due to a lower amount of CO2 dissolved. BUT, because there's less CO2, the engine uses a special nozzle to generate a head from the small amount of CO2 that is present. Izzat it?

I never thought of anything like this either to be honest. I have always pictured in my mind the engine on the bartop like this.

I have that exact beer engine. I had it built into my bar at one point. However, I redid my bar a year+ ago with two tap towers and it just was going to be too crowded, so I took it out. Been trying to figure out a new home for it since then.... Might try to get something together this week like this.

JUST TO MAKE SURE I GOT THIS RIGHT: a beer engine is basically just a hand pump that moves beer from a cask to your glass, instead of using CO2 pressure, and the idea behind THAT is that in sticking to only the natual carbonation in the cask, the result is a smoother tasting brew due to a lower amount of CO2 dissolved. BUT, because there's less CO2, the engine uses a special nozzle to generate a head from the small amount of CO2 that is present. Izzat it?

Originally, it was utilized to "Pump/Pull" beer up from the basement of a pub.... because there was not "CO2 Tanks" to "push" it.
Today, basically, the beer itself tends to be carbonated at a lower level and it comes through the nozzle with small holes which further knocks the carbonation out..... the resulting pour ends up being a bit like a "nitro" beer .... if you have ever had guinness on tap for instance. So, it serves beer that is sort of silky/creamy/low carbonation bite.
It is especially nice with beers like british bitters, british milds, porters, scottish ales, etc.

OK. It's fun that even after three years, I'm still learning (and HBT does most of the teaching) about beer. I'd never heard of the idea and history of cask ales until I did some Wikipedia-ing after totally failing to understand what's going on in this thread.

Correct...It is a Pump...The Original Draft system besides slapping a Spigot on the end of Barrel. Invented before Anyone understood and knew about "force carbonation'. The "sparkler" creates a head by forcing the beer through small holes. The rich creamy head actually is a result from disolved Nitrogen from the Air. For a true Beer engine to work properly your "Cask" will need a Breather which will allow air to enter the cask. Casks where typically stored in Basements and Cellars and the beer was drawn into the Drafthouse.

learning beer history is great...

Back