Steeping grains, again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
So I boil me water, cool it down, steep grains for alotted time. Then boil again? then the cold side. Cool wort to pitching temps???

25518 said:
So I boil me water, cool it down, steep grains for alotted time. Then boil again? then the cold side. Cool wort to pitching temps???

Heat your water to whatever temp you are supposed to steep the grains at, or a couple degrees higher, then steep them for the proper time, then take them out and drain the bag thoroughly. Bring your wort to a boil and do your extract and hop additions. After the boil is complete you chill the wort to pitching temp (should be listed on the yeast package).

No extract. But, I wasn't off by much. Just a small step. So many fun steps.

That one step. Maybe why I'm getting kind of a burnt taste. I just throw them in. take them out before boil. Oops!

Huh? There is no need to boil first. Just steep the grains at the right temperature for the right amount of time, then start your boil.

No extract? You cannot make beer by steeping without using extract.

Speacilty grains? Extract? I really didn't want to use extract. Only reason I brought up boiling twice. Someone on another thread. Said he did it. That was my main question. But now I see, I'm missing a few more steps. So. Warm water to striking temp, steep grains for aloted time. Bring to boil. Boil 60 mins. While adding hops, extract. (why?) Then cool to pitching temps ferment?

25518 said:
Speacilty grains? Extract? I really didn't want to use extract.

It sounds like you're doing all-grain brewing then. It also seems we have a communication issue. With all grain, you are going to mash all of the grains somewhere between 150 & 158 degrees usually for one hour. Then drain the liquid out of that vessel. If you don't have a mash tun, consider brew in a bag (BIAB). After your mash is complete then begin your boil.

Also, maybe you should read John Palmers book on brewing. Very useful tool.

It sounds like you're doing all-grain brewing then. It also seems we have a communication issue. With all grain, you are going to mash all of the grains somewhere between 150 & 158 degrees usually for one hour. Then drain the liquid out of that vessel. If you don't have a mash tun, consider brew in a bag (BIAB). After your mash is complete then begin your boil.

Also, maybe you should read John Palmers book on brewing. Very useful tool.

Biab, hop socks, nylon?

I have been over the John Palmers site. Maybe read up a bit more, I need to read.

Hop socks work. Or are it. For all grain. I looked at. Hold please. Beersmith.com

People often get Extract Brewing with Specialty Grains confused with All-Grain Brewing.

I would also suggest taking some brewing classes if they are available in your area. If not, check out our website. We have the AHA videos for beginner brewers posted as well as a homegrown video on All-Grain Brew in a Bag.

John Palmer's Book is a very good suggestion.

Kat Vallish
Barley & Vine
www.barleyNvine.com
770-507-5998

Shooter said:
We do not have a 140 character limit on HBT. Feel free to populate your posts with details.

Who's got time for words and stuff? I am getting a kick out of this. It's like solving a riddle!

I'm also at work. Trying too dodge cranky bosses. Pardon my quick word here and there.

Back