Weird Regulator issue, please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHunk

Reaction score
I have had issues with leaks in my system but I think I have most all of them solved. The issue I am having is that when I turn the screw to increase the keg (low side) pressure to 10 PSI the needle on the low pressure gauge goes nuts vibrating and bouncing. I can also hear the regulator hissing. When this occurs I have soaped the entire gauge and zero bubbles appear. I have taken the regulator apart and found no internal issues (beer, liquid, etc...) The only part of the regulator that I didn’t dis-assemble was the screw-in poppet in the middle of the regulator. When I turn the pressure back down to about 8 PSI the vibrating stops. I purchased the regulator about 2 years ago and it started doing this about 2 months ago. TIA

Beer in gas QD but I don't think it got as far as the regulator due to the T in my line.

I'm having this same problem with dual body regulator I just received with my kegging kit. One of the gauges is acting the same way (needle going bezerk at anything over 8psi, buzzing real bad, etc.).

I'm a total n00b here, so could you explain more about the check valve sticking, and how I could go about fixing it?

Just pick up a new low pressure gauge. LHBSs sell them for around $10. Most of these plastic gauges are throwaway items.
P

So is it more likely the gauge or the check valve?

Can you remove the check valve and see what happens to the gauge? If it's really a check valve, there's a spring loaded ball inside, and if that is sticking, it might cause the gas flow to chatter, and the gauge would just be a witness...

Cheers!

It could be the check valve. You are saying that the air comes out, but it vibrates? If the air comes out of the end of the check valve, but you are getting a vibration it is probably the duck bill valve or the ball valve depending which type your regulator has. This generally does not hurt anything and we see this happen even on new regulators. It will make noise or vibrate while a large amount of volume is coming out, but this will stop once the pressure equalizes out. I don't completely understand what it is doing, but you are welcome to call me and I will help you troubleshoot it over the phone. Our number is 325-356-5204 and my name is Todd.

Beer in gas QD but I don't think it got as far as the regulator due to the T in my line.

That would definitely cause a sticky check valve(if it got back there)
Ive added inline check valves right before each QD(there only a buck or so) gives me a piece of mind and prevents possible shared tastes with shared gas lines and different types of beer on same line. May only be a mental thing but wtf:p

Back