Wine cloudier after racking!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xzarfna

Reaction score
Hey there!
I have been making a bunch of "unusual" wines recently. These are the flavors I have on the go:
Banana
Kiwi
Cherry
Prune
Elderflower
Tropical

Now - before racking, 2 of these wines were amazingly clear - the Banana and Kiwi, You could just about read print through them. So, in order to make them perfect i racked them with some bentonite thrown in.
The results are as follows:
Cherry: Was Opaque, now looks like a perfect Red Wine
Prune: Was Opaque - now nearly clear
Banana: Was nearly perfect - now hazy
Kiwi: As Banana
Tropical: Was Opaque, now hazy but transparent.

What could have caused this unusual (Maybe - I'm kinda a rookie) behavior?

All wines were made using 2 litres of juice/pulp mixed, 1kg of sugar and topped up to 4.5l in the demijohn with Cold Water. Champagne yeast was added once the must reached room temp as usual.

Update: Kiwi now allows light to pass through but is still hazy, Banana completely opaque - almost grayish colour.. :S

It wasnt entirely clear, I could read text through it but only quite large print.

Racking can easily stir up sediment and put it back into solution. As long as you left most of your lees behind it will settle out again.

Latest posts

Back