Distilling a Sour Beer and Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puro

Reaction score
Hello! Newbie here.

A buddy is giving me a bunch of sour beer to run through my pot still.

Should I get rid of all the carbonation?

Should I not run a full still to prevent it "puking"?

Thanks for all the help!

Yes, don't fill your still more than 1/2 full. Dumping the beer in from a height will knock a lot of the carbonation out of it. Heating slowly until boiling will help prevent foaming, by allowing CO2 to come out slowly. Anti-foaming agents are your friend, as are nucleation chips/stones.

Brew on :mug:

Thanks for the help!

I distilled a wash with LME a couple weeks ago. Before and after pics

Attachments

• C31ACCA6-24D1-4902-8259-86E22E51235E.jpeg
    C31ACCA6-24D1-4902-8259-86E22E51235E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
  • 0AC6635C-CEAE-4075-8220-A2CAD38D2C35.jpeg
    0AC6635C-CEAE-4075-8220-A2CAD38D2C35.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
I did about 45 gal of sour and old beer (SOB whiskey is what I call it!). Some people really like it, but to me it has a flavor and smell that I can't get past. It costs me nothing to keep it on glass w/ oak staves, so I'm hoping it turns into something I'll drink!

K

I did about 45 gal of sour and old beer (SOB whiskey is what I call it!). Some people really like it, but to me it has a flavor and smell that I can't get past. It costs me nothing to keep it on glass w/ oak staves, so I'm hoping it turns into something I'll drink!

K
It might be the residual hop flavors that make it thru the distillation process that is giving you the offensive flavor.

It might be the residual hop flavors that make it thru the distillation process that is giving you the offensive flavor.

I think there's merit to that. I made the same conclusion when I had a little jar of whiskey from Motor City Gas distillery that was distilled from a pale ale and it had the same flavor that I don't care for from the SOB.

K

I'm debating whether or not to use wyeast 3763 Roeselare as my go to distilling strain to try something a bit more funky.

Back