Diptube Mesh Screen - Dry Hopped - Pouring Slow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Barrett

Reaction score
So I fermented and dry hopped an IPA in my corny keg to prevent oxidation and keep the aromas intact. To keep the dip tube from clogging, I placed a 400 micron mesh screen around the diptube that runs its entire length. The first pour was very cloudy, I presume mostly yeast. My subsequent pours have been very slow and quite hop sludgy. I presume the hops settled to the bottom when I cooled the keg to serving temperature and that is where the diptube is collecting from. From reading other posts, it seems others have had good success with the dip tube mesh screen method. I took apart the dip tube and mesh screen assembly to see if I hadn’t accidentally punctured the screen slipping the dip tube into it - I hadn’t. Nor were there any solid bits of hop in the dip tube itself which would be contributing to clogging. One final note is the beer had not yet carbonated but it was under serving pressure (but I’m impatient and wanted to taste).

Any idea what’s going on?

I don’t know how practical it is but you should shorten your dip tube by1/2-3/4”.
Ideally, using a Clear beer unit would keep your pickup on top of the beer and you can also add a screen to the pick up section.

Thanks. I’ve heard this recommendation. Is this based on the assumption that the yeast/hop/trub layer is 1/2” to 3/4” tall at the bottom of the keg? This is an aggressively hopped beer so it very well may be higher.

Yes. Shortening the dip tube leaves room for trub in the bottom of your keg.
Again, if you’re going to heavily dry hop, particularly with loose hop pellets you should obviously cold crash, consider gelatin, or utilize a Clear Beer system to prevent clogging your dip tube.

You would be a good candidate for a floating dip tube imo. That's if you ferment and dry hop in the keg .

Back