Dimpling tool for a 1/2” hole

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISUBrew79

Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea what I might use to create a dimple for silver soldering a 1/2” Tri Clamp ferrule with 1/2” OD tube into the wall of a brew vessel? I️ figure I’ll drill a 3/8 hole and use something as a die to create a dimple to widen the opening to 1/2”. I️ just don’t know what to use as a die. I️ haven’t been able to find a correctly sized reducing pipe fitting.

Maybe I️ will have to take a piece of 1/2” OD stainless tube and taper the end with a grinder?

Maybe I️ will have to take a piece of 1/2” OD stainless tube and taper the end with a grinder?

Tapering a throw-away is the approach I've seen most others use, especially before the pull-through fittings were readily available. Someone on here put their spare piece in a drill press so they could rotate and angle-grind at the same time, the results looked pretty clean.

Tapered drift punches are readily available in many sizes.

Its a ready to use solution for dimpling.
Drill your initial undersized hole. Then tap the punch in to create the dimple. Monitor the hole diameter carefully so you don't overshoot the desired diameter.

8496505I-21.jpg

Tapered drift punches are readily available in many sizes.

Its a ready to use solution for dimpling.
Drill your initial undersized hole. Then tap the punch in to create the dimple. Monitor the hole diameter carefully so you don't overshoot the desired diameter.

View attachment 549411

That’s a very good suggestion. I will look for a suitable punch and give that a go next time.

I was able to create a makeshift dimpling tool by tapering a piece of 1/2” OD, 0.0625” wall stainless tube with a grinding wheel on my Dremel. I had to spin the tube by hand to try to keep it even. I’m sure it would have worked better if I had a 1/2” drive drill that I could have secured the workpiece into.

Back