Drill for a Barley Crusher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clanchief

Reaction score
So after getting some advice here on setting my barley crusher (which was great and appreciated) I found myself with another dilemma. The drill which I had gotten specifically to run it wouldn't turn it. This is the drill I had purchased and which I now need to replace after a lot of hand cranking this weekend:

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-h...lt-cordless-drill-driver/p-1974668-c-9072.htm

It wasn't cutting it. I tried a little test on it last night, putting a half pound of 2-row in there, setting it to the max torque, and it couldn't push anything through at all. It couldn't move. Just sat there stupefied.

So I was thinking about something like one of these two:
http://www.menards.com/main/tools-h...erforce-1-2-hammer-drill/p-1474371-c-9072.htm

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-h...e-speed-reversible-drill/p-1474370-c-9072.htm

The reading I have done says go for corded over cordless to get the torque you need. I don't have much in the way of tools around my house right now mainly because they aren't needed at this point and I'm renting. Would either of those be good choices? Would they work? Should I look for something else?

Thankfully I do have one close. Reading through another thread here, that seems to be very popular as a milling drill, so it looks like that's what I'm going to go with.

Thanks!

The other thing to consider is that about ten years ago John Menard pleaded out on a charge that he took arsenic from his company and put it into the residential garbage waste stream. So this billionaire paid a $10,000 fine and you and I got stuck with the potential clean up of our water.

Second on the Harbor Freight low speed high torque. I use one on my Monster Mill & it is an absolute beast. Easy to set the speed & has never bogged down. Do a google search for "Harbor freight coupon" & you might save 20%.

I use a cheap Ryobi drill for mine. (link)

af6c0e73-6e05-467c-b4d9-0612d30cf48d_300.jpg

Very smooth running drill for the money.

Either one of them will probably work.
Here is what I use for my MM-2:
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-heavy-duty-spade-handle-drill-93632.html

It is pretty reasonably priced, if you have a Harbor Freight close.

Thanks for the lead!
I picked one up yesterday. They're on sale for $48.99 till June 30. Online they are out of stock, but the stores have them.

Watch out!
There are 2 similar models. One has the "speed limiter wheel" on the trigger, and a speed range of 0-500 rpm which is the best one to use for milling. The other model does NOT have that limiter wheel, so it is much harder to preset or remember your optimum speed. It also has a speed range that is slightly higher, 0-600 rpm.

I read some reviews on the HF site and there seems to be a problem with the (special) chuck retainer screw snapping off when using the drill in reverse mode with some torque applied. Just keep that in mind.

It's a beast!
It drives my new Monster Mill (MM-2) and chews through 6 pounds of grain almost effortlessly. Unlike my small portable and an old corded one that just hum when there's any grain in the hopper. Those also run way too fast and create a lot of dust and flour.

The low speed/high torque on this drill is truly remarkable and most useful. It gives me very little flour!

Question:
Any speed that you guys can recommend? Is there such a thing as milling too slow?

Question:
Any speed that you guys can recommend? Is there such a thing as milling too slow?

I go full tilt. No problem. I have always gotten great efficiency. Black and Decker drill.

(in this video I was doing a dumb test where I clamped my drill to the mill and a piece of wood... ignore that).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the lead!
I picked one up yesterday. They're on sale for $48.99 till June 30. Online they are out of stock, but the stores have them.

Watch out!
There are 2 similar models. One has the "speed limiter wheel" on the trigger, and a speed range of 0-500 rpm which is the best one to use for milling. The other model does NOT have that limiter wheel, so it is much harder to preset or remember your optimum speed. It also has a speed range that is slightly higher, 0-600 rpm.

I read some reviews on the HF site and there seems to be a problem with the (special) chuck retainer screw snapping off when using the drill in reverse mode with some torque applied. Just keep that in mind.

It's a beast!
It drives my new Monster Mill (MM-2) and chews through 6 pounds of grain almost effortlessly. Unlike my small portable and an old corded one that just hum when there's any grain in the hopper. Those also run way too fast and create a lot of dust and flour.

The low speed/high torque on this drill is truly remarkable and most useful. It gives me very little flour!

Question:

Since the max speed is 500 rpms & we're shooting for about 200, I listened to how it sounded at 1/2 throttle/no grain, then tried to match that under load. I don't think that you can mill too slowly, but don't know for sure.

I just picked up mine yesterday from HF. Can't wait to use it next week!

Since the max speed is 500 rpms & we're shooting for about 200, I listened to how it sounded at 1/2 throttle/no grain, then tried to match that under load. I don't think that you can mill too slowly, but don't know for sure.

Thank you!
Around 200 rpm really sounds like a very decent milling speed.

Here's a thread where an industrial duty 1HP motor and a 10:1 gear box is being used to drive a Monster Mill 3.0. The speed is reduced from 1725rpm to roughly 173 rpm.
motorized-monster-mill-build

Now I thought our HF 1/2 inch drill was approaching overkill.

I just started using that HF drill, kinda new to milling in general (MM 2.0). First, the at around 200rpm drill seems to want to throw my entire mill off the bucket when it's first getting started, but once it gets going it settles down. I have to hold the handle really securely the whole time in general. Second, the drill also wants to move in a circular shape around the drive shaft, it's not perfectly centered. I think it's probably because it's difficult for me to support the weight of the drill and keep it under control at the same time, but am a bit worried about messing up the drive shaft over time.

I plan on building a little table to support the drill/bolt it in place in the near future, but I just wanted to see if my experiences are what I should expect.

I know this thread refers to the BC but I imagine this issue applies to drills running at lower RPMs in general.

Bovine,

I used the HF drill and MM-2.0 combo for the first time this weekend. I had the same issues as you mentioned. Overall, I was not happy with the process. I had to let it rip at full speed to crush the grain. Here are photos. I had pretty low efficiency too.

image-2446921379.jpg

image-3409368287.jpg

image-1147735250.jpg

image-1377721639.jpg

image-2820687875.jpg

image-2989891012.jpg

Back