Totally wrong hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drummer3

Reaction score
Just wanted some input on my latest screwup. I left home brewing for a few years and decided to start with a few kits to get back into it.
I brewed a Midwest Colonge Kolsch kit this weekend. About 30 min into the boil my propane tank went dry ( I really though I had enough!). So I covered the kettle, ran to store and exchaned the tank. All in all it took me 20 min to get back and hook it up. It came back to a boil in just a few minutes. I wanted to increase the boil time by 20-25 min to make up for the time it was down. So then this crazy thought came to mind. I started thinking that the extra boil time would deminish my 60 min bittering hops (Sazz) potency. So I stupidly decided to throw a .5 oz of nortern brewer in to make up for that.(it's all I had). I've since then have kicked myself over and over for that decision.

Just wondering how you all think that this beer will be like.
Thanks

The wort spent a hour total boiling and I threw in the NB hops at the last 25 min of the boil.
I figure that I might have a hoppyish type kolsch. Or even something like an English pale ale.

Just wanted some input on my latest screwup. I left home brewing for a few years and decided to start with a few kits to get back into it.
I brewed a Midwest Colonge Kolsch kit this weekend. About 30 min into the boil my propane tank went dry ( I really though I had enough!). So I covered the kettle, ran to store and exchaned the tank. All in all it took me 20 min to get back and hook it up. It came back to a boil in just a few minutes. I wanted to increase the boil time by 20-25 min to make up for the time it was down. So then this crazy thought came to mind. I started thinking that the extra boil time would deminish my 60 min bittering hops (Sazz) potency. So I stupidly decided to throw a .5 oz of nortern brewer in to make up for that.(it's all I had). I've since then have kicked myself over and over for that decision.

Just wondering how you all think that this beer will be like.
Thanks

I think it would be good enough for me to drink. Give me a call when it is done. :D

The wort spent a hour total boiling and I threw in the NB hops at the last 25 min of the boil.
I figure that I might have a hoppyish type kolsch. Or even something like an English pale ale.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It will be a little more bitter than you intended. A half ounce at 25 minutes won't add too much flavor. A little Northern Brewer flavor would probably be good in a kolsch.

Update...This Kolsch actually turned out very nice. Perfect for a warm spring day...if we ever get one.

Glad to hear it came out alright. I'm happy when I see that people's brainfarts (including my own) come out well. I love Northern Brewer hops so this actually sounds quite delicious.

Back