wine degasser for wort airation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TylerGuy

Reaction score
i am new.
i recentally brewed two batches (batch 3 and 4 for me) and airated them with my wine degasser. they were my first batches to need blow off tubes. can i attribute this to better O2 content? the problem with assesing this is that every batch i sort of improve. my first coopers dark ale was all corn sugar. then the glden saaz pilsner was done with liquid brewers sugar(which im currentally drinking, soo good) and these two kits were: festa red ale with dry yeast safale-04, and blackroch wheat beer with all sugar subistuted with dark dry malt fermentables and used wyeast german ale liquid yeast pitched 2 hours after smacking. fermentation took 48 hours and boom went nuts.

Aeration is definitely good for yeast health, but that doesn't mean you'll have a blow out. Most often, blow offs happen when there is too little headspace and the fermentation is warm or the yeast it pitched when the wort is too warm.

I've had one fermentation when I needed a blow off tube. It was in 2006, I believe.

Normally, I use a 8 gallon bucket with a big wide headspace for a 5.5 gallon batch and pitch the yeast when the wort is 62-64 degrees. I get vigorous fermentations but not to where it's blowing out. If I used a 6 gallon fermenter, I would, though!

Aeration is definitely good for yeast health, but that doesn't mean you'll have a blow out. Most often, blow offs happen when there is too little headspace and the fermentation is warm or the yeast it pitched when the wort is too warm.

I've had one fermentation when I needed a blow off tube. It was in 2006, I believe.

Normally, I use a 8 gallon bucket with a big wide headspace for a 5.5 gallon batch and pitch the yeast when the wort is 62-64 degrees. I get vigorous fermentations but not to where it's blowing out. If I used a 6 gallon fermenter, I would, though!

If you pitched the yeast at 80 (like some kits suggest) and kept the fermenter where it was 72 degrees and used a 6 1/2 gallon bucket, you'd probably need a blowoff all the time. Pitching the yeast when the wort is closer to 60 F. and maintaining the fermenting wort in the low to mid 60's keeps the yeast activity under control so a blowoff isn't usually necessary. It also makes better flavored beer.:rockin:

Im pretty new but I did a belgian wit this saturday. Pitched the yeast at about 73 degrees and put in fermentation chamber set at 66 degrees. Had hardly any sign of fermentation for about 18 hours. Then checked it again at 24 hours and it had blown out of the 6 1/2 gallon carboy. When I checked the wort it was at 67 degrees at the 18 hour mark.

Back