Difference in BeerSmith and B-Friend normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mechphisto

Reaction score
So I made up a recipe that I put into Brewer's Friend and BeerSmith 3 exactly identical.
This is what they each calculated:

Generic Style; BrewersFriend; BeerSmith; Actual
Est. Original Gravity (OG): 1.049; 1.05; 1.06 1.049
Est. Final Gravity (FG): 1.014; 1.014; 1.016; ?
Est. Alcohol By Volume (ABV): 4.62%; 4.84%; 5.80%; ?
IBU: -- ; 31.4; 11.5; ?
SRM: -- ; 20.36; 22.2; ?

BeerSmith is way off from both the expected amounts for the style, what Brewer's Friend calculated, and so far, what my actual numbers are (just OG so far).
So I guess the question is, why is BeerSmith so far off? Any quirk of the software I might be missing that's a common setting or something?

If the details of your process are not equivalent in the two software models, the programs will not give you the same results. BeerSmith uses user inputs in the equipment profile to determine the process capabilities for volumes and amount of sugar from the mash which makes it into the fermenter. It has been a while since I've looked at Brewer's Friend, but I am sure it requires the same or similar process definitions.

Once you get the process 'dialed' in on either software that software should perform well for you. Instead of comparing results, pick one of them that seems to follow your preference for information flow and detail and work on that software to get it too match your specific results.

Umm, what BrewHouse efficiency did you input into the programs? It looks like you just had a better efficiency than the default for the selected equipment profile. Softwares only give you an estimate. Your process will vary and give higher or lower efficiency. Once you start figuring out your average efficiency you then tweak your recipes around that number. For example, when I started crushing my own grains with a Barley Crusher mill I would average 81%-83% efficiency. When I switched to a Monster Mill my efficiency bumped up to 86% so I had to tweak my recipes a little. With my new setup in my new apartment I am back to averaging 81%-83% with my Monster Mill 2.0.

So, you will need to know what your average efficiency is and tweak your equipment profile.

Rev.

I don't use BF but I do know that if you don't set up a custom equipment profile using accurate measurements you won't get accurate numbers out.

Back