Cider refuses to clear!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xzarfna

Reaction score
Hey there! I have just brewed a batch of cider using 21 litres of Pure Clear apple juice, 5kg of granulated sugar and a sachet of Alcotec 48 Turbo Yeast.
The fermentation went perfectly, however it has turned very opaque.
I left it for a week after fermentation and nothing really happened. So i tried adding Alcotec TurboKlar... which did NOTHING.
I resorted to Bentonite which HAS given me a very nice 1 inch thick sediment on my 25l bucket, but the cider is still opaque. It did used to look like banana milkshake it was so cloudy, and light didnt pass through it - now light does pass through and it looks a bit better, but it still looks like very cloudy cider - despite the fact that i used crystal clear apple juice :S

Anyone got any thoughts on how i might clear this?

PS, it doesnt smell or taste infected - and all equipment was well sterilized with StarSan

I'm in the same boat. 2 months looks like pale brown gravy. I blame the heat, when it cools off I'll try turbo klar and bottle

Update - bentonite has now caused a 2 inch sediment to form!
cider still cloudy but more light being seen through it!
hopefully in a week or 2 it'll be OK to bottle - i'd rack it but i only have the one fermenting vessel :S

I'm guessing that due to the nature of that particular yeast, and it's intended use, it does not flocculate well. You could try cold crashing, but you may end up needing to filter it.

OK, ive given my cider a good mixup a few times a day since adding the bentonite and every time its settled out a bit clearer!
now the top say 2/3 of an inch is crystal clear so its almost ready!

i'd rack it but i only have the one fermenting vessel :S

I used to rack without another fermenter. You can siphon into your sanitized bottling bucket and wash out the fermenter, than siphon back into the original fermenter and top off with a little more fresh juice. Works like a charm. You'd be surprised by how well racking will clear it. If you're trying to get it ready quick you could try de-gassing it, there might be suspended CO2 that's contributing to keeping it foggy, but that's also a reason racking will help clear.

Sparkaloid is the best for cider and mead clearing, take less than a week to read a newspaper through it. Give it a try.

Back