March pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagg

Reaction score
Hello all, do any of you use a march pump to rack wine from one vessel to the other? I need another way to do this, I am afraid lifting a full carboy will explode sooner than later, anyone with input please let me know, thanks.

Interesting, how can your carboys explode? No problem using a pump as long as you dont loose to much to priming and to the void volume each time. WVMJ

Interesting, how can your carboys explode? No problem using a pump as long as you dont loose to much to priming and to the void volume each time. WVMJ

Try dropping one when you attempt to lift it up onto the counter. The 54 liter demi johns are hard on the back.

I don't have a transfer pump but I would really like one.

jagg says he is concerned lifting a full carboy will explode, not dropping one

Try dropping one when you attempt to lift it up onto the counter. The 54 liter demi johns are hard on the back.

I don't have a transfer pump but I would really like one.

I've read my share of stories wherein carboys just break in people's hands. Terrifying.

We were fortunate with a 3 gal glass carboy once, I noticed a little puddle of wine on the table, curiosity made me look closer as I had not been working in the area for a while, and I could see the crack forming at the bottom of the carboy. Freaking out, I grabbed a clean bucket, my wife held the bucket while I gently and carefully slid it to the edge of the table and it held together long enough to put it in the bucket. We Racked it and when lifting the carboy out of the bucket the bottom fell out. I guess when Jagg said explode I thought he meant really explode, but the bottom falling out is just as exciting. Pumping between carboys would keep that from happening as long as you dont move the carboy around first. WVMJ

Latest posts

Back