Did you know foamboard insulation is highly flammable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HausBrauerei_Harvey

Reaction score
Just an FYI to folks as I didn't know this and I know we use a lot of this rigid foam insulation when we make our brew-crap.

Apparently its highly flammable and releases cyanide when it burns. eek!

The backstory if interested:
I just had an awesome insulation company blow some cellulose into my 50's home with NO insulation previously.

In chatting with this gal who ran this company since the 70's and really knew her **** she told me that foam-board insulation (which I just used to build my fermkeezer) is highly flammable and you have to be really careful using it around electric or other heat sources.

Some of the stuff (luckily most of what I got) has a foil cover on the outside, which helps mitigate the flammability, but just something we should all be aware of.

yep . No one dies from fire anymore. They succumb to the noxious fumes from all the plastic etc.

Thats why the industry is moving towards rockwool / mineral insulation. I havent specified foam insulation in maybe 2 years now.

Mineral insulation either burns and produces toxic fumes, or melts and rains as liquid plastic on to firemen below...not fun. Mineral wool, even tho has less R value, does not burn.

So does anyone know if there are there any practical alternatives for the DIY fermentation chamber? Particularly for those chambers that don't break the bank.

Rock wool, but why are you worried about setting a fermentation chamber on fire... it takes an open flame or extremely high heat.

So does anyone know if there are there any practical alternatives for the DIY fermentation chamber? Particularly for those chambers that don't break the bank.

Id go with Roxul. The problem with this is its not sold at 1" thickness on stores, you would have to go thru a contractor friend.

Rock wool, but why are you worried about setting a fermentation chamber on fire... it takes an open flame or extremely high heat.
I hear you, IDK maybe peace of mind in case some other decision I made in building my ferm chamber has a mistake or if e.g. the heating pad I am using freaked out. I'd hate to think of there being an arsenic bomb in the basement that I created vs whatevers in my home construction that I can't do anything about. But its reassuring to hear its probably nothing to worry about.

Eugenio I will keep my eye out for Roxul if I ever make a bigger chamber.

Back