Did I screw it already..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l.houlbrook

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new and noob at all this. Just bought the coopers home brew kit and watched some wrong video. So i poured the enhancer after I tipped the lager in. So went lager, water, enhancer... does this make a difference or ruin it. Also in Australia, in an apartment I couldn't get my temperature low... so had to do it all what seemed to be 28 degrees.. will this still work or will it ruin it? Atm got a cold wet towel with a fan blowing on the fermenter case lol. Cheers boys hope I havent ****ed it.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum and hobby! I really cant help you on the coopers kit process as I've never seen one here in the States. I can help you worh your fermentation temp. You've done good by adding wet towel . You can set up what's called a swamp cooler . Place your fermenter in a tub of cool water along with the towel and fan . Search the forums and you will have access to endless info. It's your first beer dont sweat it . Hang around here and you'll be brewing great beer in no time .

Never done a coopers kit but if it's just hopped malt extract, the "enhancer" and water, you can add them anyway you want. I would image the enhancer is just some sort of sugar and would be easier to dissolve it all in plain water. Either way you should be fine though.

yea, cooper's kit "enhancer" is just some sugars and maltodextrine, doesn't matter which order you put them really.

Ok sweet, I just bottled the beer after a week and smells alcoholic and did the hydrometer test but rookie and it. So seems ok.. but.. when I got to the end i realised all the sugar and enhancer was collected at the bottom and did not desolve properly. What does this mean to the beer, is this normal?

Also it all seems bit flat. Like doesn't bubble like a normal beer? Put the carbonation drops in. Is this what gives it the bubbles?

Yes the yeast left in the bottled beer turn the carb drops into CO2, which gives the beer the fizz. Did you do a hydrometer reading at the start?

Sorry, the gunk and sugar I was saying was in the bucket I did the first fermenting stage. So none in the bottles? I have put the carbohydrate drops in.

I did do a read and was about 1040 (didnt write it down exactly) new read is around 1010.

Back