Did I ruin my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashun

Reaction score
l bottled a 5 gallon batch last night only to realize my siphon hose had some gunk in it while cleaning up. I had already bottled everything. I did sanitize before siphoning. But the gunk wouldn't come out when I was cleaning up after so it had to be there before I racked into my bottling bucket. Should I be worried and how should I proceed? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

What do you mean by "gunk"?
Solids that have hardened inside the tube?
Little bit of black mould?
Some critter has crawled up the inside of the tube and laid a nest?

Not a lot you can do now for your beer tbh, aside from once it has reached the carbonation level you desire is to keep it as cold as you can to limit any growth.

That said, seeing as though you have sanitised the siphon beforehand, your beer is probably fine. Don't worry about it too much. I know that's a hard thing to do as I always continually worry about ever small thing I have done, just learn from it and watch out for it next time you brew

Time will tell. Hey, at least its beer now and has alcohol in it. Should help fight off any nasties

What you should do at this point is....plan your next batch. Then brew it....after ensuring everything is squeeky clean.

What good will worrying about it do?

Perhaps you can take comfort in the knowledge that this is not the last mistake you'll ever make in brewing, at least judging from my experiences. :)

Ha ha, yeah I will just relax and see what happens. I'm still not sure what's in my tubing. It's still there. So I'll just toss my tubing and get some more and make sure to clean better next time. Thanks for the feedback.

That beer is a goner no doubt. I have an environmentally friendly way of disposing of beer if you want to send them to me to save you the trouble

Back