Did I kill my hop????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
Centennial rhizome, planted in pot, about 4 inches down.

3 little buds broke thru after a few weeks. I think they got eaten by a rabbit.

2 of the buds stayed green, at ground level, no leaves. The third started growing 2 new shoots from the side of the old one.

Grew about 6 inches, and stalled. leaves are now curled up and very hard. Still green, but no growth for at least a week.

I suspected the pot wasn't draining, and the plant was sitting in water. On Sunday I decided to transplant the plant into the ground. When removing the plant from the pot, I found the soil at the bottom was very wet - my suspicion was confirmed.

When transferring, lots of the soil dropped off, and I noticed a couple of nice white roots (only about a half inch long). I'm hoping this means there is some life in it.

Was I too late? Is it dead?

I planted a centennial at the same time, but in the ground. Both came up within a couple of days of each other. The Centennial is up to 6 foot and looking good.

Planted a third one on Sunday, and today (2 days later) it is already up about an inch.

All have chicken wire around them to keep the rabbit out.

Back