Steeping clarification?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Da11en47

Reaction score
I'm making a Cream Ale from Northern Brewer.

"Steep for 20 minutes or until water reaches 170 F."

I remember, and maybe I did it wrong last time with my Brown Ale, but I thought you were supposed to get the temperature to hold around 160 F and then steep your grains for 20 minutes, rather than slowly letting it reach that temperature?

Will there make that much of a difference? Thanks.

You can steep the grains over a wide range of temperature with no ill effects. You are rinsing out the sugars and colors so the exact temperature isn't necessary but........it's a good practice to try to keep your temperature between 148 and 158 because that is where the conversion occurs if you should decide to go to partial mash or all grain.

Steeping temps & water amounts are a lot less critical than mashing. There are two ways to steep. One way is to put the water & grain bag in the pot,& slowly heat it for 20-30 minutes to a cretain temp,then remove the grains. Or heat the water to a cretain temp,then add the grain bag for 20-30 minutes while holding temp. I like the 2nd way better,as it's a lil bit closer to mashing. Steeping is just crystal or slpecialty grains getting the sugars rinsed out,since thwey're already converted. Mashing is manually converting starches to simple sugars.

If you go over 170, you may start extracting tannins. There is no harm in putting the grains in while the water is still cold, just don't start your timer until the water reaches 150 because that is when you will actually start getting the good stuff out of your grains.

Back