Amount of priming sugar to add to prime at room temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

befus

Reaction score
I am about to prime a keg of old ale and then store in my basement for a couple of months (2-4) before hooking up to gas ans serving. At the moment I have a small kegerator and have not the space to store under refrigeration. It should maintain a temp of about 62-65F over that time. I learned I must hit it with gas to seal the keg, but am wondering if in storage at those temps it will maintain high enough pressure to stay sealed as the beer absorbs co2, thus my question on how much sugar to use. I see four ounces commonly used for kegging, but is that enough for my purpose? Thanks for any help.

I am about to prime a keg of old ale and then store in my basement for a couple of months (2-4) before hooking up to gas ans serving. At the moment I have a small kegerator and have not the space to store under refrigeration. It should maintain a temp of about 62-65F over that time. I learned I must hit it with gas to seal the keg, but am wondering if in storage at those temps it will maintain high enough pressure to stay sealed as the beer absorbs co2, thus my question on how much sugar to use. I see four ounces commonly used for kegging, but it that enough for my purpose? Thanks for any help.

I'd probably use 2-2.5 ounces for the keg- normally you use have of the priming sugar for a keg as you would for a bottle. If you hit it with 30 psi when you keg it, and it seals, it should stay sealed as it carbs up.

Back