Interesting observation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unionrdr

Homebrewer, author & air gun collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I capped my dark hybrid lager with the last of my o2 barrier caps,minus a couple on 3/17. Had to use an old,yet still sealed bag of Brewer's Best caps I had left from the wife's 1st brew more than a year ago for light hybrid lager on 4/2.
Yesterday,5/27 I openned a bottle of the dark with the o2 caps. The lager-like crispness was a bit more pronounced with the spiciness of the haulertauer mittelfruh. Clear beer,amber/brown color with fine bubbled carbonation.
So I got steak & beans ready for supper,grabbed a light hybrid out of the fridge with the BB caps. I pour it into a Coke glass,nice & clear,but larger bubbles. Needed more fridge time for finer carbonation. Good head,finally nice & clear. Byyuuurp,wtf?? First time I got a really big,bad mouthfull of musty wet cardboard. Never that bad or lasting this long in bottles. Especially after allowing clean up time,& just that one bottle out of the last case so far. Had to dump it. First time for that,ever. First case had one gusher too,but took a couple seconds to blow after opening. Both were BB caps.
So it's clear to me that o2 barrier caps are def better in the long run time-wise. The dark with the o2 caps is outlasting the regular ones. Def more consistent bottle to bottle. And all the bottles were rinsed,scrubbed,& rinsed again inside before going onto the bottle tree to dry before storage. And I used dextrose with a priming calculator to style too. Used my new super agata bench capper as well.
Proving to me once again that spending the extra buck or so for better caps is assuredly a worthwhile investment in the beer I spent so much time on getting good.

Hey I'll reply :). You just sold me on the O2 caps. I was kinda freaked out this past weekend when I shared a few saisons with a buddy. Now this was a highly carbed batch, 3.25 vol CO2. Every one I had opened up until the weekend was highly, but appropriately, carbed. Then my buddy opened his. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zero. I had even gently stirred the primed beer before bottling. This was a first. All these batches and never had this happen. I'm chalking it up to a single bad cap job. But the point being that perhaps an O2 barrier cap would have worked better - I don't know. Like you, I'm willing to spend a buck or two more in the short term for better results in the long run.

Ive only ever used the O2 since thats all my LHBS sells. I have a package of regular ones from my original starter kit but never used them. Ive used them with my Dubbel so that is still nice and fresh but most other beers don't last long enough to go bad lol :drunk:

I started using them because of what they're intended to do righ after caping. not to mention helping keep air out. But this last two batches where one used BB regular caps was the acid test. The o2 barrier caps def help with longjevity in my recent experience. The small extra outlay is def worth it.

I’ve been bottling for years and I’ve never noticed any difference. I’ve used both, sometimes in the same batch, and it’s no big deal.

Oxidation is pretty slow, unless you’re shaking the bottles or glugging the siphon, splashing, or something like that. When I bottle, I discard about half a beer at the start and the end of the siphon. Well actually I feed it to the next starter, but the point is I don’t drink it.

I always thought the ‘Oxygen absorbing’ thing was a scam, but I’m rethinking that. Here’s an old thread with some good information:

U.S. Pat. No. 5,143,763, issued to Yamada et al., discloses a multi-layer composition adapted to be attached to a liner on the underside of a container cap. The layers of the composition include
(1) an adhesive layer that attaches the multi-layer structure to the cap liner, (2) an oxygen absorbing layer consisting of an oxygen absorbent dispersed in a resin, and
(3) an oxygen permeable film layer covering the absorbent layer. The
oxygen permeable film layer prevents the oxygen absorbent from leaching
out from the resin into the contents of the container. The adhesive layer
is disposed between the cap liner and the oxygen absorbing layer,
completely separating the cap liner from the oxygen absorbing layer.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/oxygen-absorbing-caps-89570/index6.html

A back of the envelope calculation shows about 6 mg of oxygen in a 20 mL headspace. I weighed a mix of caps and the oxygen absorbing caps weigh about .1g more than the regular, so it is feasible that they could suck up .006g of oxygen.

Personally I have switched to the oxygen absorbing caps and I rotate the six packs 90 degrees to wet the caps and mix up the air a bit, to give the yeast a chance at it. We’ll see.

More research is required.

I've never used the o2 caps, and have never had an issue, just had a beer last week that is over a year old, and it was fine.

I have never used O2 absorbing caps but I would. I just want to know if they similar to commercial brewery caps.

I have found brewers best caps to be flimsy and just cheesy. To open a homebrew I have to reposition the bottle opener 2 times. I bought a kit from Midwest supplies and the caps were thick and popped off easy.

Are the Q2 caps made of better quality? I'm going to buy some once I run out of the brewers best cheap bag-o caps

I'll never use BB caps again. flimsy bargain basement stuff. I only used them because I was bottling,& ran out of o2 caps. Thought it'd be a good experiment anyway. And no,there wasn't any splashing or other aerating of the beer at that point. I know better & have the equipment to avoid it. Also have a new Ferrari Super Agata bench capper as well. No infections or off flavors on bottling day either.
The lighter hybrid lager that used the BB caps was fine untill last weekend. Vco2 wasn't so high as to slowly push agains the caps either. That's why I had to replace the Red Baron capper. Bell went south. I read recently that beers can do that after being in the bottles so long. I know nothing lasts forever but the earth & sky. Just never had it happen before. Maybe being a cross between ale & lager?
But even that doesn't quite seem to fit absolutely. The darker One with the o2 caps is still great,getting a bit crisper from the yeast & hops used. And I do think the o2 barrier caps are def of better quality,since they pop quicker & a bit harder then regular ones did. Not a lot,but different. And since they give better quality at longer times in the bottle,I'll keep using them. I got two 144 count bags from midwest recently,& used them on my Maori IPA last sunday to bottle it. Glad to be back to my old reliable again...even if I'm not Grumpy Jenkins!

Never had one of my beers oxidize. Still have some bottles with the cheap caps from my first few batches, actually opened one last weekend and it tasted fine. Never used an O2 absorbing cap, so nothing to compare. Strange.

Yeah,it is strange. I'm at the point where I know how to do things the right way to avoid common problems. And the caps were about a year old,but kept sealed in their bag in the storage shelves of my fermenter stand,& they looked fine with no rust,seperation,or deterioration. Beer doesn't stay fresh forever,but IDK. That one bottle was def giving wet musty cardboard flavor big time. Guess I'll have to open a few more for research's sake.

Yeah,it is strange. I'm at the point where I know how to do things the right way to avoid common problems. And the caps were about a year old,but kept sealed in their bag in the storage shelves of my fermenter stand,& they looked fine with no rust,seperation,or deterioration. Beer doesn't stay fresh forever,but IDK. That one bottle was def giving wet musty cardboard flavor big time. Guess I'll have to open a few more for reaseache's sake.

As long as you call it research, there is no reason for people to complain about your day drinking.

Had kids soccer practice, I'm behind. Imperial rye red ale should be nice and carbonated though!

I have bottles from three different batches that have been in bottles for more than twelve months. None of them are oxidized in the slightest, and I don't even purge with CO2.

I use normal caps (actually, they are custom printed bottlemark caps... but no O2 barriers).

Back