Hips that are good for brown ales stouts and porters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of variety of hops for that range of beers. Of course the traditional English hops. Besides those I've seen recipes with Northern brewer, the 3 C's, Willamette, and what have you. A tiny bit of Magnum for clean bittering then something else for flavor.

Emphasis on the malts with a hint of hops to balance the malty sweetness.

Would kent golding be a good all around choice also have a question. I'm buying from Great Lakes but they only have hop plugs which are field grade plants. Small yearling plants I assume. Should I just wait till next year and buy a crown instead?

I was also gonna buy a Columbus hop crown but I have like 3 rhizomes of Columbus in my fridge. How long will a rhizome take to produce a crop. And how about the plug how long for that?

I would not wait to get a crown. The field plugs should be plenty good for you. You still have plenty of time for the plant to get established this year. Wouldn't count on harvest this year but next year would be decent. If you happen to get lucky and have a small harvest this year just make sure to pick them off the bines without cutting them down and keep them up until first frost so they send all the energy they can down into the crown. What do you have to lose? You have rhizomes in the fridge, get them in the ground!!

Cheers & good luck

Back