Help please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandg72

Reaction score
It's day 10 of my primary WE Riesling and it's still bubbling away. Should I go ahead and check it and rack it or wait another few days for the bubbling to stop?
Thanks!

SG is 1.000 so I went ahead and racked it. It's still bubbling a little in the carboy, but I think it will be ok. THANK YOU for all the help and advice!

bandg72 said:
SG is 1.000 so I went ahead and racked it. It's still bubbling a little in the carboy, but I think it will be ok. THANK YOU for all the help and advice!

Hello,

Ironically enough, I had this same issue last night. I am making a Bolero wine. After a week in the primary fermenter with a belly band on it my must had stopped bubbling. I figured it was time to rack. I used my hydrometer and it looked darn close to 1.00 for specific gravity. It had been bubbling all week so I figured, after reading this thread, I would rack anyway. I moved to carboy, added yeast nutrients and oak. This morning my temp is about 69 degrees. I don't seem to me bubbling. Could it be my temp? Has anyone had experience putting a belly band on a glass carboy? This is my second batch. My first started bubbling right away. It was a sauvignon blanc. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Rookie!

If it's 1.000, it's darn close to finished. It will finish between .990 and .996. That's probably why you don't see any activity. If it's over about 62 degrees, it's warm enough.

Hello,

Ironically enough, I had this same issue last night. I am making a Bolero wine. After a week in the primary fermenter with a belly band on it my must had stopped bubbling. I figured it was time to rack. I used my hydrometer and it looked darn close to 1.00 for specific gravity. It had been bubbling all week so I figured, after reading this thread, I would rack anyway. I moved to carboy, added yeast nutrients and oak. This morning my temp is about 69 degrees. I don't seem to me bubbling. Could it be my temp? Has anyone had experience putting a belly band on a glass carboy? This is my second batch. My first started bubbling right away. It was a sauvignon blanc. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Rookie!

After 1.00 you typically don't see any signifigant activity. You will see small bubbles at the neck of the carboy but nothing dramatic.

Inner10 said:
After 1.00 you typically don't see any signifigant activity. You will see small bubbles at the neck of the carboy but nothing dramatic.

Thanks guys for the answers. I just checked my carboy. Temp is at 68 but there is no activity. No bubbles. I stirred it up and it didn't change. My expectation was that after adding the yeast nutrient that the yeast would continue to work and make more carbon dioxide causing my airlock to work. This was not the case. Am I incorrect in my thinking?

P.s. should I have started a different thread for this?

Thanks again

Confused rookie

Thanks guys for the answers. I just checked my carboy. Temp is at 68 but there is no activity. No bubbles. I stirred it up and it didn't change. My expectation was that after adding the yeast nutrient that the yeast would continue to work and make more carbon dioxide causing my airlock to work. This was not the case. Am I incorrect in my thinking?

P.s. should I have started a different thread for this?

Thanks again

Confused rookie

No, don't stir it! It's at 1.000, which means you want to avoid oxidation now that it's nearly done. It may drop a bit more, but you may not see any visual activity. Don't worry. Check the SG in two weeks, as the directions state. But don't agitate it or stir it.

Yooper said:
No, don't stir it! It's at 1.000, which means you want to avoid oxidation now that it's nearly done. It may drop a bit more, but you may not see any visual activity. Don't worry. Check the SG in two weeks, as the directions state. But don't agitate it or stir it.

Doh! Ok. I will leave be. Is it the case that wines will ferment and behave differently than each other. My sauvignon blanc bubbled like crazy after the first racking. Thanks for the replies! Much appreciated.

bottling day and my riesling is crystal clear and tastes pretty darned good..... But at the bottom of the carboy was about 2 bottles worth of sludge. Any ideas on how to filter it?

Back