How long will brew last in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curt480

Reaction score
Hello HBT,

Hoping I can get some feedback from the group. I brewed a batch of double IPA approximately 3 weeks ago. 1 week it remained in my primary and now It's been sitting approximately 2 weeks in my secondary. Will it be alright if I leave for another weak (going to Maui) and when I return bottle it or is that a bad idea? I'm looking for general time frames beer lasts prior to carbonation. I know there are many formulas out there 1-2-2/1-3-2 etc (many combinations) but want to make sure i don't waste this batch. Frankly it looks amazing, smells amazing and I'm not sure i'll have time to bottle it prior to leaving Saturday. On a side note if anyone wants to tell me I'm a lazy ass and I should just bottle it tomorrow prior to leaving that may be the drive I need to do it :)

P.S - I really need to purchase a keg setup lol.

Thanks all.

Darker then dark IPA - Don't recall IPA being this dark, hence the thread.

20130516_203842.jpg

Curt480 said:
Darker then dark IPA - Don't recall IPA being this dark, hence the thread.

Black IPAs exist!! That being said, since its an IPA, I'd bottle that puppy up! OR, go pick up a few ounces of hops, throw them in the Carnot and dryhop that sucker while you're in Maui! Good luck!

Black IPAs exist!! That being said, since its an IPA, I'd bottle that puppy up! OR, go pick up a few ounces of hops, throw them in the Carnot and dryhop that sucker while you're in Maui! Good luck!

Leave it alone. dry hop for 3 days after you get back. No problem

With every dilemma there is opportunity. Dry hop it!

Seriously, I don't think one week will make much difference.

So true story...no additional hops were provided to dry hop. No dry hop was indicated throughout the recipe. Is that odd? Granted I get back Saturday and I will dry hop, but it smells hoppy and looks black and night :p Very peculiar. In fact, this was a liquid extract recipe which I've never done. Always done malt (big bag powder).

To add to the conversation further...can this thing get hoppier? Can I go to my brew store...buy a big bag of hops, dry hop and let it sit longer? How long can you toy with your brew prior to bottling/kegging like I'm contemplating? Yes, yes I like hops :)

Curt480 said:
To add to the conversation further...can this thing get hoppier? Can I go to my brew store...buy a big bag of hops, dry hop and let it sit longer? How long can you toy with your brew prior to bottling/kegging like I'm contemplating?

Yeah man! Go to the LHBS and pickup a couple ounces of hops and throw em in! Just because its a kit doesn't mean you can't modify it. IPAs are commonly dry hopped. It won't add any perceived bitterness, mostly aroma. 3 or four days should do it. Any longer and you might get so vegetative flavors.

I'd bottle before leaving. You have a lot of head space in that secondary.

I didn't have a full 5 gallons based on what I did, but folks, better safe then sorry. Plus if I bottle tomorrow...when I return...I get to drink it all. No brainer :):rockin::tank::ban::off::cross::cross:

Thanks all!

Back