lesson learned: too much citra

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hadn't used citra in a long time and I recently brewed a big double IPA with late extract addition totaling about 100 IBU at 8% abv. Bittered w 1 oz Columbus for 90 and 1 oz centennial at 60 and flavored with an oz of citra at 10 min w centennial and cascade at .5 oz. Dry hopped w an oz of citra and an oz of cascade.

I cracked a bottle at 3 weeks and literally thought that I had fermented at too high a temp here in michigan winter w the heat on or maybe got oxidized during transfers to secondary or bottling. It was so off tastingly fruity that I thought I had screwed up a process. 4.5 weeks in and it has mellowed off of the fruit and now has a great balance of fruit to bitter. Was worried this thing would never come off of its fruit high but I will say it is a beautiful example of American hops at this point.

Goes to show you that flavoring and dry hopping w citra can lead to an uncanny amount of fruity hop flavor when green but will mellow into a beautiful beer. I will log as it ages and let everyone know the best period for citra drinking. I'm guessing between 4-6 weeks will be peak tastings retaining a great balance but will mellow dramatically thereafter. Will most likely drink all but a few the next 2 weeks just in case ha.

Cheers to citra.

Did my first Citra based IPA Almost a month ago at this point (25 Days). I call it Citra Assasin, even though it's not monster hopped, it's generous.

I did a first wort hop with 1 oz. of Citra after pulling the steeping grains and before the boil, then I bittered with 1 oz. Centennial, followed by 3 additional oz of Citra at 30, 15, & 5. Dry hopped it with 2 oz of Citra after fermentation for 8 days then bottled 4 days ago. Looked and smelled amazing. I didn't taste it, as I've done that so many times with other beers, and the flavor profile often changes in a beer so drastically from bottling day through carbing/conditioning I refuse to get a taste stuck in my head and make me paranoid about my beer while it conditions. Waiting 2 weeks or so to try one.

I have also had some all Citra beers that are just too fruity and give an impression of "sweetness" that I dislike in hop centered beers.

However, properly balanced against a nice malt profile, and with the right amount of bitterness, it's a great accent and a unique flavor. I do prefer it in conjunction with something resinous and with a little pungency as well better than by itself.

Latest posts

Back