Vanilla extract in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickyLopez

Reaction score
I am making my own vanilla extract. I have 5 vanilla beans split down the middle soaking in about 500ml of vodka. I'm going to let it go for about 3 weeks total.

Anyhow, I want to use this in my beer.... But not sure how. Should I throw it in the boil? Secondary? My concern about throwing it in secondary is adding additional alcohol and any vodka taste... If I throw it in the boil, my theory is the alcohol would disapate leaving a more concentrated vanilla extract? Or what if I boil the vanilla-vodka in a separate pot, reduce it (thus concentrating it further) and throw that in secondary? Any help???

Boiling it won't concentrate it, it'll simply cook off the tasty volatile oils that you worked so hard to extract. Add it as late in the process as possible, secondary or even in the bottling bucket.

Agreed with the rest - don't boil. You'll drive off the delicate aromatics.

BTW - 500 mL??? Why so much? That's definitely going to impart a harsh, vodka alcohol character to the beer. I did a Vanilla Porter once with 3 vanilla beans (split and scraped), and I only soaked them in about 50 mL of vodka for a few days. 500 mL is waaaaay more than you need (10x).

I recently made a vanilla porter, using 3 vanilla beans (I shredded them) soaked in 2 shots of Vodka for 2-3 weeks. I added this at bottling time. It had a terrific aroma but it's faded as time has gone by so I suggest first age your beer in your carboy, then when ready to drink add the vodka/extract, carbonate for a couple of weeks, and drink right away.

****! I should probably get 3 more beans and soak them in about 2 shots of the "extract" I have now! I had no idea it would be too much. Damn!

Its not too much. I use a few beans in a large quantity of vodka. It takes a good month or so to get a good full extraction, but you can use that for all your cooking, etc, as well. When the stuff is ready in a month or two, you can just add it in the secondary or bottling bucket to taste as you would with any store bought extract. You might only use an ounce or so, but the etract will last if stored in a cool dark place. If you only soak the beans for 3 days, there is LOTS of goodness left in them.

I used a half dozen beans in a 3barrel batch of stout for about 5 days and it came out nice, so depending on the amount of flavor you are looking for it really doesn't take a lot to impart a solid flavor.

Do it in secondary and since you are using an extract you will want to measure some out and add it, then let it sit for an hour so and give it a taste. Err on the side of too little, adding it in smaller amounts than you think may be needed and build up slowly.

Back