Which order do I go in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drakeskakes

Reaction score
Brewed a beer that just finished primary at 1.011. I carbonated a sample and gave it a test and it's pretty decent, young but I think it will be good in a few weeks. Something about it screamed "Give me apricots"
I was curious if I go straight from primary to racking on top of apricots in my secondary, or if I cold crash THEN go to secondary with it.

Here is the recipe. I made this up with random stuff I had laying around, so to be honest I don't even know what category of beer it falls into... any guesses?

**NOTE** I ended up using a Burton Ale yeast instead of East Coast.
ScreenShot2013-04-29at113722PM_zps35aa8e54.png

IMO: forget the apricots. But that is just me. I have never tried a spiced or fruited beer that I liked.

But I would also cold crash last if I did one. I have never done a cold crash. 3 weeks primary has always given me clear beer.

Only issue I see is that with apricots, you need A LOT to be able to taste it in the finished product. Not that I've ever used any of the beer specific flavorings but you may want to look into it. Otherwise you'd need to add something like 5+ pounds of apricots. Since you're adding after fermentation you'll want to sanitize them by boiling for a short time. During boiling you'll probably lose some flavor. Maybe you could use canned fruit since it's already pasteurized.

Personally, I would freeze the apricots to break down the cell walls. Then soak them in StarSan to thaw. Mash them, and rack on top of them.

I definitely wouldn't boil, as that would ruin the flavor, but I might consider blanching them before I freeze them.

Or..... You could use the Denny Conn method and skip the StarSan and blanching: [ame]http://youtu.be/xFSmjUtz1vk[/ame]

Back