El Dorado hops. Has anyone tried them yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerryteague

Reaction score
I just ordered an IPA kit from Midwest and it uses El Dorado hops throughout. There is supposed to be a ton of tropical fruit character with this hop, but it's my first time using them, so I'm not sure what to expect. So, who has used them? What did you think?

Bump. Anyone? I guess I'll be the guinea pig and give a report when I brew this....

That's what I figured. I'm thinking that it might pair with Citra and autanum nicely though. I'm gonna try the recipe as-is and see how it turns out first...

Well, I just pulled a pint from my keg, and I have to say that I'm slightly disappointed. I think it would have been better if I would have added some Citra, or possibly cascade to brighten the flavor a bit. I may order a pound, and play around with combinations and see if I can get the flavor profile that I want. It's a good hop, but not on its own in an IPA. I can see lots of small batches in my future...

TNGabe said:
If you want tropical, Mosaic is where it's at.

I've been wanting to try Mosaic for some time now. I may buy a few oz's and see what I can do with it. El Dorado is a good hop, but on its own, it's underwhelming. I think that a good citrusy hop would have made it into a great beer.

I've made several beers with El Dorado. My most recent wheat beer was fantastic... my neighbor and I floated the keg last night!

I'll put up the recipe in a few minutes, then you can check it out in my Recipes dropdown below my avatar <----.

A friend of mine (nanobrewery owner) did an IPA with El Dorado and it was very, very fruity. Loads of pear flavor. I didn't think it was very good. It really needed more malt flavor. I made a couple of pale ales with it; they were just OK, but nothing outstanding. The wheat was by far the best.

I've made several beers with El Dorado. My most recent wheat beer was fantastic... my neighbor and I floated the keg last night!

I'll put up the recipe in a few minutes, then you can check it out in my Recipes dropdown below my avatar <----.

I made a recipe based off of this and so far it is really tasting good. I am dry hopping it right now and I had to pull a sample.:) Thanks for posting the recipe. El Dorado hops match the tartness of the wheat really well.

I made an el dorado/citra ipa 10 gallon batch bittered with chinook with 8oz each of el dorado and citra and it was a fruity delicious ipa that did not last long. I bought 8oz more of el dorado to pair with amarillo in a future ipa

Back