Soda making for cub scouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hank1105

Reaction score
Hey everyone, my son is in the cub scouts. I have been an extract brewer since this past August, absolutely love the hobby and the beer that I brew, hopefully graduate to all grain next year. In any event, I was thinking of something "cool" I could do with the troop. Obviously we can't make beer, although that would be awesome. So I was thinking of soda, leaning towards root beer. I did some research tonight, looks like a good amount of carb (30 psi) and get new lines, no problem there. My question is does anyone sell a kit? I checked NB, they sell syrup, but I don't know what else is required, I assume boiling water at some point, but I have no idea. If there are any other suggestions they are more than welcome. Thanks.

Hank

Hey everyone, my son is in the cub scouts. I have been an extract brewer since this past August, absolutely love the hobby and the beer that I brew, hopefully graduate to all grain next year. In any event, I was thinking of something "cool" I could do with the troop. Obviously we can't make beer, although that would be awesome. So I was thinking of soda, leaning towards root beer. I did some research tonight, looks like a good amount of carb (30 psi) and get new lines, no problem there. My question is does anyone sell a kit? I checked NB, they sell syrup, but I don't know what else is required, I assume boiling water at some point, but I have no idea. If there are any other suggestions they are more than welcome. Thanks.

Hank

All you need is the syrup! A cheap way to get started is to buy the McKormick extract at the grocery store, in the baking aisle. There is a recipe right on the bottle that is pretty good. You could sub brown sugar for the regular sugar if you want, and of course leave out the yeast if you're kegging.

One thing I like is touch (I mean just a touch!) of malto-dextrine for a richer fuller more commercial mouthfeel. My son overdid it once, though, when he was bottling rootbeer and he made root beer jell-o, so make sure you only use just enough to provide some fullness.

One thing I like to do since 5 gallons is a lot of soda, is to make it in a 2L size. Mix it up in a pitcher, and then pour into a 2L bottle. Either add 1/4 teaspoon of yeast, or use a carbonator cap to carb it up.

If you use a carbonator cap, turn up your regulator to 40 psi and shake the soda. If it's cold (use cold water to make it), it'll carb up nice and fast (like in 15 minutes).

Latest posts

Back