The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't say greatly run. FWIW.

Man U builds a young squad that competes year in and year out. They constantly find bargains as well. Don't get sucked into bidding wars and get a great player. Refused to get over sold on Lucas Moara (sp?) and instead got Kagawa who's fantastic

Man U pays more on interest payments then player transfers.

It's the Man U fans that are hating not me. Feel sort of sorry for them.

United fans fume over Glazer plan to sell stake on New York Stock Exchange... and keep half the money for themselves

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...w-York-Stock-Exchange-plan.html#ixzz2TTSlJ3JZ

While the Glazers have sucked out over 500 million how many European trophies have Man U won?

Man U is a greatly ran club. Hating on them is like hating on say the Pats or any other team who wins all the time regardless of how much they spend.

People hate on the Patriots because they are cheaters, not because the owners are sucking the team dry of cash. I don't think Manchester United have ever been caught cheating like that.

0 super bowl wins without cheating. I think that sort of bothers belichick.

Klinsmann announces an interesting roster

GOALKEEPERS (6): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tally Hall (Houston Dynamo), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Tim Howard (Everton), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (8): DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Michael Parkhurst (Augsburg)

MIDFIELDERS (10): Michael Bradley (Roma), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Maurice Edu (Bursaspor), Stuart Holden (Bolton), Jermaine Jones (Schalke), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Brek Shea (Stoke City), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Clint Dempsey (Tottenham Hotspur), Herculez Gomez (Santos), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders FC)

6 Goalies is insane but I'm sure there's a reason for it (maybe to get more practice taking shots for forwards, or just to get a look at the next wave) since I'm sure only Howard and Guzan will make the final roster maybe with a 3rd for emergencies

Defenders aren't really shocking except the Mayor isn't there, I guess he's not 100% yet or Hoffenheim didn't let him out or something.

Midfielders and Forwards are what I expect.

So I'm guessing though it's really hard to figure out the starting 11 is probably

RB - Cameron
CB - Castillo
CB - Besler/Goodson
LB - Johnson

really the only lock is Johnson. I could see Beasley at RB which then would mean Cameron is probably starting in the middle. But I like Castillo/Goodson in the middle or Castillo/Besler. I think I'd go with my lineup which basically gives Johnson free reign to move forward. And if we need a goal we can jsut have the 3 CBs play back and Johnson play kind of a sweeper position in front of them and support the offense.

I'm hoping Holden is Healthy cause then my dream midfield could happen

RM - Holden
CM - Jones
CM - Bradley
LM - Shea

But I'm guessing Holden isn't quite there and will be used off the bench mainly, and Gomez or Johnson will start LM and Zusi at RM. I

Obviously up top it's Dempsey and Altidore. That's a given.

In order to reduce MLS matches missed, the four goalkeepers from the domestic league will be rotated in and out of camp. Interestingly, Tally Hall will be available for the WCQ in Jamaica.

Indeed. :mug:

So when Madrid buys Bale, where do Spurs fall in the table? 10th? :D

The buying Bale saga is interesting. I can't see a perfect fit at any big club. Except Man U.

Madrid has too many wingers and forwards, City has too many wingers and forwards, he doesn't fit Barca's system, Chelsea has Mata who I don't think they'd kick him to the curb for Bale, Bayern also has too many. Maybe Dortmund could use their Gotze selling money for Bale?

I think Bale is around for another year and if Tottenham still aren't in the CL then maybe he leaves after, but really who knows.

It's crazy how arsenal pulls off champions league every year. Arsenal are lucky to have Wenger is amazing the results he gets for the money spent in the transfer market.

Love when Arsenal fans say they need a new manager :)

Ny Yankees and man city to form an mls franchise. Interesting to see how that works out

I was just about to post that. Official name: New York City FC. They're expected to begin play in 2015. No stadium yet but they're still working on Flushing Meadows Corona Park.

Ny Yankees and man city to form an mls franchise. Interesting to see how that works out

Pretty Crazy. I bet they'll be trying to work their way around the cap stuff for MLS if it involves Abu Dhabi and Steinbrenners, they will likely be willing to pay to bring in high price talent to sell tickets.

Neymar sweepstakes over going to Barca. Messi/Neymar up front? My head hurts just thinking about that

Neymar sweepstakes over going to Barca. Messi/Neymar up front? My head hurts just thinking about that

Will be interesting to watch. Sometimes there isn't enough balls on the field to satisfy those 2 types of creative players. Will Neymar be content that he won't be running the show? Will Messi be happy when Neymar takes a bad shot instead of passing? All important questions. I doubt it will be an issue, Barca doesn't typically just sign players like Real.

Bayern wins Bundesliga and UCL, and they'll be adding Pep and Gotze in the offseason? That's pretty crazy. I'm guessing Robben will be gone, likely to a squad like City. And I've heard rumors of Lewandowski in and Gomez out, but Bayern looks strong for next season. JMO they need a CB though. At least for depth purposes.

I thought it was a great match. Energy and fight from Dortmund in the face of Munich domination. Robben is a bit of a tool - but he is effing good. I agree about the diving- between Ribery and Boateng there was always a Bayern on the turf.

Exciting game

Neither do I - but that's the point. The fact that people are more concerned with his play rather than his home life is a majornwin

Is that supposed to be "major win"? Because if so, I totally agree. I just want to see him do well on the field.

Congrats to Crystal Palace looks like Manchester United has got a bad ass winger in Zaha. That guy has some moves

Sound like that fat kid who never got picked to play.

If there was a fat kid who never got picked to play it's cause he wasn't willing enough to be nasty and probably was dumb. As a fat (though not too fat) kid I used my size and nastiness to be a great goalie. Teams I played stopped attempting to put corners into the 6 cause I always got them they would play them short or cross to the top of the 18 and hope for a miracle shot.

hoppyhoppyhippo said:
If there was a fat kid who never got picked to play it's cause he wasn't willing enough to be nasty and probably was dumb. As a fat (though not too fat) kid I used my size and nastiness to be a great goalie. Teams I played stopped attempting to put corners into the 6 cause I always got them they would play them short or cross to the top of the 18 and hope for a miracle shot.

The only good position on the pitch. I have been between the stick for 21 years. Although I never was the fat kid, something compelled me to being a keeper. In high school I realized it was running through people when going out for crosses or 1v1s.

The only good position on the pitch. I have been between the stick for 21 years. Although I never was the fat kid, something compelled me to being a keeper. In high school I realized it was running through people when going out for crosses or 1v1s.

Yeah I fell in love with the position from the first practice where they wanted to see how I would do... about 10 years old, I believe. But for some reason playing indoor in the off-season I didn't like it so I always played fullback in box.

But I know what you mean about coming out... I would destroy guys, the opposing team would complain or call for a foul, and the ref would give them a look like "you're kidding, right?"

Yup. I loved the way I played and so did my defenders most of the time. I made them look better than they were. They didn't like it when I ran them over. And I told them it was simple, if I called for it get out of the way. I loved one defender we had cause if I called for it he would usually wheel behind me incase I missed it. I almost never did but it was good to know he was smart. I started keeping when I was about 6 or 7 and kept playing until high school when I switched to football (a more typical sport for someone who's 6'3 260)

My best skill was penalties, cause unlike pretty much anyone I played with I would read people's hips and feet to figure out where they were going. Of course it wouldn't continue to translate up higher levels, but I saved about 50% of my penalties, let up maybe 25% and the others all missed. Only people I struggled with were the toe kickers cause I could guess the general area but you never know exactly where they would go.

Can't do anything about a toe poke.

I started playing when I was 5 or 6. Played all over the pitch until I realized my calling around 13. I still play on 2 different clubs in the summer (full pitch) and a couple of futsal teams in the winter. Playing ball got me back in shape after being up to my heaviest and most out of shape I have ever been (completely winded after running 20 yards).

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6vQpW9XRiyM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Orson-welles-clapping.gif

Back