Yeast Question..644

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laxsoccerguy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I made a small, 400 ml starter for the WL644 yeast and want to now step it up. It was on the stirplate for 6 days, and has been cold crashing for about a day.

Is this what the yeast is suppose to look like at the bottom? How should I go about stepping it up? Should I decant the spent wort and keep all of the stuff on the bottom?

IMG_1101.jpg

6 days on stir plate seems like a lot for a small starter. But yes, to step up, decant most of the liquid, you want some so you can loosen up the yeast that has settled, then pitch into a new batch of wort and put back on the stir plate.

i'd cold crash longer before decanting, 644 doesn't like to floc well IME

6 days on stir plate seems like a lot for a small starter.

while it does seem long, 644 is brett so it was a fine time period.

I add the new wort to the yeast after decanting. I also start with a vessel large enough for my largest step.
In the picture the whiter layer in the middle is the yeast and it does look good. IMO 18-24 hours on a stirplate is plenty per step. 1 day or so depending on clarity (yeast has fallen out of suspension) for the cold crash.

Back