Grow hops in noth georgia or a waste of time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
Can you grow hips well on Georgia or is it to hot and humid in the summer to grow healthy plants? I bought centennial cascade Columbus fuggle and kent golding. I know the English hips won't produce much but just wanted to try anyways but what about the others and what do I need to do with them in regards to sunlight and water? Any good drip irrigation designs

First, its never a "waste of time" to grow hops. They don't/won't/can't produce as well in all areas of the world but its an interesting plant with extra benefits.

That said, it will never produce as well down there as in the northern half of the U.S. This is partly because of the heat but also the daylight and warmer climate. The first couple of years, you can let them grow but starting the 3rd year, you may want to take an aggressive approach towards cutting back the first 2 flushes of bines from the crown to delay the start.

You'll probably get some cones but don't expect 1 to 2 pounds per bine.

I put the English hops in an area that gets mid afternoon to evening sun instead of all day sun

Back