WLP630 Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kajjia

Reaction score
It just goes to show you should always COMPLETELY research what you're doing before you start! :)

I'm preparing to brew a gose tomorrow and created a yeast starter for my WLP630 vial. As it's been spinning for the past hour I've been reading up on the WLP630 blend, and here's what I've found:

- DO NOT use a yeast starter - this can increase the populations of saccharomyces and cramp the style of the lactobacillus living in fragile harmony with it.

- DO NOT aerate the wort. Lacto is anaerobic and the added infusion of oxygen can cause the populations to decrease further.

- DO start your fermentation on the high side to give the lacto a head start and then reduce temperature to something more hospitable to the yeast.

- DO let the beer age for a fair amount of time (it seems like people were aging months in secondary) to develop sourness and let the sulfur-esque flavors fall out.

Well crap - already messed up on item 1. My advice to myself: RDWHAHB and then ask the brilliant community of HBT for some advice ;)

Can I throw my starter in the 'fridge and stall the yeast, then pitch tomorrow without causing any harm to the lacto? Am I doomed to drink a less-than-sour brew no matter what I do? Does anyone have any comments or amendments to the items laid out above?

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE:
After a little more research it appears lactobacillus can safely go dormant at 41F. Our refrigerator is at between 32F-37F depending on the shelf. In the starter goes! Same questions from above apply - am I OK? The starter spun about about an hour and a half.

It just goes to show you should always COMPLETELY research what you're doing before you start! :)

I'm preparing to brew a gose tomorrow and created a yeast starter for my WLP630 vial. As it's been spinning for the past hour I've been reading up on the WLP630 blend, and here's what I've found:

- DO NOT use a yeast starter - this can increase the populations of saccharomyces and cramp the style of the lactobacillus living in fragile harmony with it.

- DO NOT aerate the wort. Lacto is anaerobic and the added infusion of oxygen can cause the populations to decrease further.

- DO start your fermentation on the high side to give the lacto a head start and then reduce temperature to something more hospitable to the yeast.

- DO let the beer age for a fair amount of time (it seems like people were aging months in secondary) to develop sourness and let the sulfur-esque flavors fall out.

Well crap - already messed up on item 1. My advice to myself: RDWHAHB and then ask the brilliant community of HBT for some advice ;)

Can I throw my starter in the 'fridge and stall the yeast, then pitch tomorrow without causing any harm to the lacto? Am I doomed to drink a less-than-sour brew no matter what I do? Does anyone have any comments or amendments to the items laid out above?

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE:
After a little more research it appears lactobacillus can safely go dormant at 41F. Our refrigerator is at between 32F-37F depending on the shelf. In the starter goes! Same questions from above apply - am I OK? The starter spun about about an hour and a half.

your starter was only 1 1/2 hrs old when you put it in the fridge? if so that's like not making a starter at all.

I agree - I believe I caught it fast enough before I adjusted the living environment of my helpful critters.

We didn't aerate and pitched the beaker's worth of "starter" at 68F. I guess now it's wait and see...

I started seeing some foam form on the surface of the wort last night. Today I'm starting to see krausen form. The sweet smell of cerevisiae doing their work is present, but none of the sulfur / rotten egg smell that I've read is common as a lacto by-product is there.

Should I be concerned the lacto didn't make it?

I started seeing some foam form on the surface of the wort last night. Today I'm starting to see krausen form. The sweet smell of cerevisiae doing their work is present, but none of the sulfur / rotten egg smell that I've read is common as a lacto by-product is there.

Should I be concerned the lacto didn't make it?

no, fermentations are not always the same as the "last time" or the same as described by others. if you have lacto in there it will eventually do it's thing.

Back