Watermellon wine safe to drink? Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbeachroach

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a batch of watermelon wine I tried to make last summer. It always smelled funky, and I tried splash racking. About 6 months ago. I had a friend try it and he likes it, but he is an alcoholic and the wine taste like s$/❗ last time I tried it. I'm tired if looking at it I'm my carboy, and I'm ready to give it a try after a year, to see if it has changed into any better. Many people know that watermelon is hard to pull off, but I waited this long and I'm ready to see what happened. Any advise on additives I can mix in to make It safer to drink if it has gone bad? Ps. Last time I tried it it taste like puke.

Had the same problem here. I added wine conditioner to sweeten it up... then watermelon extract. It still tasted like ass. Dump it and move on.

Had the same problem here. I added wine conditioner to sweeten it up... then watermelon extract. It still tasted like ass. Dump it and move on.

Same here, I think my problem was too ripe watermelons, you know how they taste when they go too far, had to dump it all, move on.

It is safe to drink, don't worry about that. If it fermented and has alcohol you are fine. It might taste like ass and that is an entirely different problem.

Watermelon juice has a tendency to spoil easily. It's best to put in the fridge for 24 hours with all the stuff in it before pitching the yeast.

Oh my :( I fermented a week at about 20C ( AC setting,) then racked and raised temp to around 23-24 to stop freezing my ass off.. Fermentation is pretty much done now so added 1/4 tsp MBS and tasted.. It is borderline ass like. Lol. ;a little sweet AND a little bitter, with a noticeable scent of 'spoil'. I'm considering sweetening a little more with honey to highlight sweet mellon taste and hopefully mask bitterness.

Has anyone had success improving the taste of a 'yuck' batch?

Don't dump it. Give it to the alky friend. Old milk jugs or something.

Even when done right, melon wines need to age. They have a real funk to them that needs time to gas out or mellow. Pour a sample and let it breath, swirl it around a bit and let it sit before smelling and tasting again. That made a huge difference in my batch.

Back