First time grower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmadness

Reaction score
So I decided to get some rhizomes in the ground this year. This is what I did.
Tilled up and strip of ground and removed the big rocks. My soil is mostly a layer of sandy gravel on top with some clay about a foot or so down. I tilled in some topsoil and composted manure (the stuff you can buy in bags at Menards) to give it something more. I then dug a hole filled it back in with Miracle Grow garden soil, place the rhizome and covered it with an inch or two of dirt. I planted 2 centennial, 2 Columbus and a nugget. Once they all broke ground I put a few inches of mulch over the entire bed and around the plants. I have been watering them probably every other day when it is dry, but haven't watered this week since we got quite a bit of rain the first and middle of the week. I put my trellis up yesterday, but none of the bines are quite ready to grab the strings and start climbing. My question is - what should I do now? Just water? Should I put any other fertilizer or is the miracle gro stuff good enough. I have some vegetable food in a bag but its listed at like 18-10-10. That seems pretty high in nitrogen?
Open to suggestions, let me have them.

I would not go too crazy with the miracle grow. I learned that lesson the 1st year with my Cascades and NB. I use dehydrated cow manure and it works great. I generally apply once every month and it comes in a 40 lb bag which lasts a while. Hops like lots of nitrogen. I know people who use horse manure, fish guts etc. and all have worked great. Biggest thing is make sure it's composted and your not just squatting and pooping on the plants. It burns the plants and they do not like that. :D

beerloaf

For the first year the majority of their energy is going into making roots below ground so while you might not see much progress it is happening. My first year I planted similar (largely clay area, mix of sand/peat/MiracleGro soil). Water 3-4x weekly and maybe monthly MiracleGro Organic fertilizer.
They truly don't require much maintenance to get started. The more you feed them now the more you'll fight them in future years to keep them from taking control of your entire yard ;)

Back