Demijohn conical fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerard weyns

FarmBrewRepeat
Reaction score
I’m currently fermenting in glass carboys and really need to upgrade to a larger fermenter. Splitting up 10+ gallon batches into multiple fermenters just isn’t working. I came across this picture of a glass carboy converted into a conical fermenter, and I don’t see why it couldn’t be done with a 14 gal glass demijohn.
1589577347382.jpeg
1589577273032.jpeg
Drill a hole for an airlock on the bottom, flip it over and fasten a dump valve to the neck and you’ve got yourself a 14 gal conical for less than $100. Any thoughts or suggestions?

My thoughts are no. Get a half bbl keg and ferment in it instead. Hell, you can even flip that over (not that this will give you the actual slope required to allow yeast to slide down 100% anyways) and drill holes in it to your heart's content. Seriously though, don't bother drilling holes in glass vessels and positioning and supporting them in ways they're not designed to be in.

Latest posts

Back