Best way to carbonate by kräusening?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funnycreature

Beer Crafter, Metalhead \m/
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to try carbonating my double IPA using the kräusening method. Unfortunately, Kai's instructions are not detailed enough (surprisingly!). So I still have a few questions that I hope someone here can help answer:
  1. Oxygen in wort - I added some oxygen to the wort I set aside for the kräusen. I need to start fermentation quickly so I hope that's OK.
  2. How much yeast? I have about 30 mL of slurry that I harvested from the primary fermenter.
  3. It says to wait for the fermentation to start and then add to the beer before bottling. How far into the fermentation do I have to wait before I can mix the kräusen beer with the fermented beer? Hopefully the oxygen in the kräusen is gone by then.

Thanks in advance for your input! :mug:

Well, after the overwhelming number of replies I decided to do (or already did) the following:
  • Thawed and oxygenated my wort I saved for kräusening
  • Cold-crashed beer after dry-hopping. Will bring back to room temp overnight
  • Tomorrow I'll start the Kräusen beer using ~25 mL of yeast. I'll do the fermentation at ~72 °F I guess.
  • Kräusen beer will be added to the finished beer when I can see happy fermentation. I might have to add sugar but I'll let Kai's magic Excel sheet to the maths for me.

Wish me luck!

Back