Split Bine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bierliebhaber

Reaction score
I have a bine that appears healthy, but on one of the lower segments it is completely split open. This bine is little shorter than the others and it's a little early to tell if it will grow well. Has this happened to anyone before? Should I just cut it back to not risk sucking nutrient? Or just see what happens?

Yep. I'm very interested in the answer to this question. I put in four mature crowns after the bines had gotten 3-4 feet. Total noob mistake because it was impossible to prune the bines back and transplant without having the bines split some.

They are still green and alive, but I wonder if they'll 'heal' and still be able to put out the cones well.

Or should I cut back the growth and start with new bines.

It's barely May, and a three foot bine isn't much of an investment. I would definitely cut off any damaged bines at the crown and culture a replacement from new shoots which will invariably pop up in days...

Cheers!

Back