2013 Hop garden photo thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SO this is my first year growning hops and so far so good. I have 5 different types and all in all they love there new home!! Okay from left to right we have Cascade, Kent Golding, Fuggel, Viking and Thor!!

photo (1).jpg

I finally got my hops trellis built today. The supports are about 12' tall and it was a real mother to get put together. I'm glad I finally got it finished though. My hops were really starting to need something to crawl up!

image-1172447670.jpg

Does anyone have a problem with deer eating their hops? Just trying to figure out in I need to start building a fence.

Does anyone have a problem with deer eating their hops? Just trying to figure out in I need to start building a fence.

So This might help you with your deer problem. I don't know if you cut your own hair but If so take the clippings and spread them around the outside of your garden. The human smell on the hair keeps all kinds of critters out. I'm lucky and have myself and 2 sons so I do this with our garden, Grapes, and hops. Every month or so. Works great and no chemicals needed!!

5 centenial plants which will hopefully provide our covered porch with privacy and shade. Two of the hops are on their second year and the other three are new this year. I was told that Centenial and nuget are the best for foliage. I can't wait to take a nap this fall with the wind blowing in the sweet smells of hops.

This was the original "trellis". You can barely see them but along the outside edges are strings. A mount hood (sencond year) and a spalter select (first year) are on the sides.

This was originally just a teamaker hops but I thought I killed it by transplanting it last year and putting it in a dark cold corner of the coop. I split my mount hood and planted it in a sunnier spot but the teamaker came back to life too. Hopefully it will provide the chickens with a little bit of shade.

How spread out are your hops?

A lot of people say that hanging soap bars works great. The heavier the scent the better as their heightened senses cant take the smell. Supposedly works in like a 3 foot area or so around the soap...seems cheap and easy enough to try. Should last awhile, and isnt harmful to plants.

Also hair clippings if you dont feel like a creeper asking a barber for a bag of hair, the human scent keeps them away....

So This might help you with your deer problem. I don't know if you cut your own hair but If so take the clippings and spread them around the outside of your garden. The human smell on the hair keeps all kinds of critters out. I'm lucky and have myself and 2 sons so I do this with our garden, Grapes, and hops. Every month or so. Works great and no chemicals needed!!

Put up caution tape 2 or 3 feet off the ground and they will not touch anything. We have been doing it on our garden for a few years and may be doing it to the hop yard... 2 decent plants had the heads eaten off at about 2 feet tall

This is my first year growing hops. this is what I came up with. From each of my 9 crowns I will run up two 1/4 inch manila ropes. 2 or 3 bins a piece. I have 2 hallertauer, 2 sterling, 2 nugget (but one doesn't look like it will survive) and 3 cascade.

2013-05-14 15.04.16.jpg

2013-05-14 15.10.35.jpg

2013-04-08+15.32.30-1.jpg

This is my first year growing hops. this is what I came up with. From each of my 9 crowns I will run up two 1/4 inch manila ropes. 2 or 3 bins a piece. I have 2 hallertauer, 2 sterling, 2 nugget (but one doesn't look like it will survive) and 3 cascade.

Very well done. It gives me some more ideas ! :mug:

Is the rope on the pulleys a climbing rope? I like this idea. I had been planing my construction and it looked kinda like this but without the pulleys.

The north side of my hops bed and trellis are nearing completion. Just a few more things and it will be completed.. I just have to wait for the cement to set so I don't tip it over.. lol

IMG_20130513_170502_904.jpg

Here's a decent "overall" photo of our back yard. All the raised beds in front of the trellis are brand new this spring (and still incomplete... I'm getting around to it). This shot was taken in the evening and since there was a threat of frost that night, my SWMBO had covered up her tomato and pepper plants.

IMG_20130513_170513_886.jpg

The blue barrels in the background are "compost tumblers", based on the design at Dixie Grilling (and other places). They appear to be working fairly well and they made SWMBO squee with delight. For about an hour straight. Win.

At some point before this coming winter, I'll be expanding the south side of the trellis, so everything is equal and balanced. The hops bed will be the same width as the raised beds area in front of it. We're going to place a "border" of some sort around the whole enchilada, lay down some landscaping fabric and mulch the f*ck out of it. I think it will look pretty spiffy, especially when everything is huge and green and flourishing.

Plus... I have hundreds of square feet less lawn to mow. :)

The north side of my hops bed and trellis are nearing completion. Just a few more things and it will be completed.. I just have to wait for the cement to set so I don't tip it over.. lol

IMG_20130513_170502_904.jpg

Here's a decent "overall" photo of our back yard. All the raised beds in front of the trellis are brand new this spring (and still incomplete... I'm getting around to it). This shot was taken in the evening and since there was a threat of frost that night, my SWMBO had covered up her tomato and pepper plants.

IMG_20130513_170513_886.jpg

The blue barrels in the background are "compost tumblers", based on the design at Dixie Grilling (and other places). They appear to be working fairly well and they made SWMBO squee with delight. For about an hour straight. Win.

At some point before this coming winter, I'll be expanding the south side of the trellis, so everything is equal and balanced. The hops bed will be the same width as the raised beds area in front of it. We're going to place a "border" of some sort around the whole enchilada, lay down some landscaping fabric and mulch the f*ck out of it. I think it will look pretty spiffy, especially when everything is huge and green and flourishing.

Plus... I have hundreds of square feet less lawn to mow. :)

It is a "paradise" BrewMCQ !! You got it !!!

Getting close to the top. 12' runs out quickly.

The hops have a small footprint, but I recently tilled 800 sq ft up for a garden. Not having to mow it is a definite plus.

image-63096618.jpg

It's always great when a plant breaks the surface. I planted 4 giant pumpkin seeds some days ago. Between last night and this morning all of them are up, one is definitely leading the charge though. Gonna give them a few days and start culling. I don't think I have enough room for more than one 100-300 pound pumpkin.

Here are my first attempts. Cascade, Columbus, Mt. Hood, Fuggles, Nugget, Willamette. I also have some variets in the ground vs pots. Finished those last night.

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

After a slow start to the spring, my 3rd years are absolutely thriving in these 80 degree sunny days.

image-1688677738.jpg

Looks good looper.... I'm down in springfield and my 1 years are just coming... but the guy I got the 4 year olds from his were about 4-5 feet last friday. Can't imagine what they are today after the warm weather!!!

Good luck!

Is the rope on the pulleys a climbing rope? I like this idea. I had been planing my construction and it looked kinda like this but without the pulleys.
I can take some close up pics and post them in a bit. Its not climbing rope, just 3/8 poly from home depot. the working load is incredibly underrated. one site said 244 lb, another said 133. the core isn't braided but It performs well enough. I designed this system from my experience as a sailor, and I believe it will be very easy to raise and lower for partial harvesting and pruning. The posts are also inserted in a 24 inch deep sleeve, so I can take them out in the off season, for maintenance. the hardware connecting the guy lines are eye nuts, connected directly to the eye "lift" bolts. I should be able to keep a respectable amount of tension on these lines for strength and stability. I can at a later date upgrade the lines, if needed, but the hardware is the key in this system.

Looks good looper.... I'm down in springfield and my 1 years are just coming... but the guy I got the 4 year olds from his were about 4-5 feet last friday. Can't imagine what they are today after the warm weather!!!

Good luck!

Appreciate it!

After such a late/nonexistant spring, I was worried that the growing season would never come... But finally! The extended forecast looks nice and warm, so HELL YES! I'll update this thread in a week or so, at which point I expect all the plants to be at the top of the 12' trellis.

My one little plant finally needed something to grow on:
964986_529566247100646_1629804506_o.jpg

I had some help with the upgrades too:
965160_529566433767294_19853795_o.jpg

She's even dressed like a Pacific-Northwest hop farmer!

Have some white ******** on my leaves, they look like aphids or something but t hey are super tiny...i think theres some eggs too.

So i dumped 1500 lady bugs on the case around my plants and garden...

on a side not earlier this week after spraying with Neem i came out the next morning to find a big fatty aphid dead with its teeth still stuck in the leaf...success.

punx clever that is a cool way to maximize your space. Good idea for those who have to worry about their HOA getting on their case.

Yea my Tettnang are starting to shoot to the side and are at the beginning stages of cone production, seems very early (North Carolina). Hopefully it wont effect overall production. The tettnag are probably ~10' tall and my cascades are anywhere between 2-4`.

First one, is Cascade (field grade) from GLH, this year. Second and third, are plants I prop'ed, from last years, Chinook variety (crown), from GLH also.

IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

Back