New Belgium Fat Tire Clone from Austin Homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhammers91

Reaction score
I am contemplating on buying the fat tire clone from Austin homebrew, and I was just curious as to if anyone has made the kit before and what the final product was like? Would u recommend? I am going to have to do the extract kit bc I can't really accommodate any other method at this point in time... Let me know what u guys think!

Never tried it, but I am getting set to brew a fat tire clone recipe with extract. There are several recipes online, and one from Brew Your Own that was formulated with help of New Belgium. I believe it's the newer version of the two. Worth looking up if you don't mind buying ingredients separately and may even be a closer match.

I have had good luck with the Austin Clone kits, and Austin Homebrewer in general. I have not made their Fat Tire clone, but I did make Northern Brewer's flat tire clone, and it was very good. You probably can't go wrong between Austin and NB.

I did their FT clone as my very first brew. Used the LME version with the WhiteLabs liquid yeast they recommend (think it was 001,without looking it up) - no starter. Not knowing any better, I followed the recipe exactly... And definitely got that sweet extract twang from not doing late LME boil additions. Also didn't get it chilled down as quick as I was hoping (ice bath), and it does have some cloudy chill haze. And i fermented it at room temp in a closet (for the times they said - one week primary, one week secondary). BUT, that being said, I still think it tastes good, and even had SWMBO and some friends say they liked it better than the original (when compared side by side. They're not beer people really, though, so they prob liked it being a bit sweeter; or they were just being polite!).

I'm wanting to try it again, now that I have better knowledge and techniques and (almost - will before I brew again) a fermentation chamber. I am saving the last six pack to compare with it when i do.

Anyway, I'm sure if you have good techniques/abilities already, you'll make the AHS Fat Tire clone into a great brew!

I did the following Fat Tire clone recipe from Brewmasters Warehouse. I think it turned out close, but better that the original. I had two others tell me they liked it better too. It will become one of my regulars. I called mine Fat & Tired and had a made a humorous knockoff label for it I was so pleased with the outcome.

Steeped @ 165F for 30min in 2.5 gal

1oz Willemette @ 60 min
0.5 oz Fuggles @ 20 min
0.5 oz Fuggles @ flame out

LME and DME both added @ 20min left in boil

Cooled to 64F in 30 min. And pitched yeast,
Wyeast smack pack added without starter

Fermented for 25 days in primary @ 65F

Crisp Chocolate Malt 0.0625 lb
Crisp Crystal Malt 60L 0.5 lb
Briess 2 Row Carapils 0.5 lb
Caramel Munich 0.5 lb