Dark Munich only beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m experimenting with doing an all grain beer using only dark Munich malts water nugget hops and saflager w-34 does anyone have an idea of how many lbs of Munich to use to create an abv between 6-9%, I’m a beginner and beer recipe sites are super confusing.

I do a Doppelbock with 17# dark Munich and a pinch of caramunich II and carafa special II with 1/2 oz of magnum and it’s a hit. 5.5 gallon batch comes in at just over 9%

I had a thought last night. What would it take to use small whiskey oak barrels to carbonate ale in? Is it even possible? I’m not even sure it would hold the pressure of the carbonation process but if it did. That would be an excellent way to serve some craft beer to friends. Warm like in an eighteenth century pub with the oak flavors infusing from the barrel and if possible I could add addition flavors to the aging process. Let me know if I’m way out in left field on this one

When you say "Dark Munich", that can mean a lot of things - which are you talking about?
Munich II (8*L)?
Munich 10? Munich 20?

ALso, "between 6 and 9%" is a huge range of final result.
I would be wary of anything darker than Munich II (8L) as 100% of the grist, especially in a high gravity beer, lest you end up with a super heavy, cloyingly sweet mess. Dark Munich can leave a strong maltiness that can be perceived as sweet in high percentages.
By all means, give it a try, but be aware you are likely to end up with a beer you will perceive as heavy and sweet. But maybe that's what you want. I only offer this cautionary advice since you said you were a beginner.

But for the sake of follow-through, please post your final recipe and impressions of how the beer turns out.

I’m experimenting with doing an all grain beer using only dark Munich malts water nugget hops and saflager w-34 does anyone have an idea of how many lbs of Munich to use to create an abv between 6-9%, I’m a beginner and beer recipe sites are super confusing.

Have you tried www.brewersfriend.com ? It's fairly easy to figure out how to use it.

I've had decent results (beer ends up slightly sweet and pretty malty) using 10L Light Munich as 100% of a grain bill but have never taken it above 5.xx%. Due to biab kettle limitations my Dopple Bock and other high gravity beers are a combination of grain with dme. It's something to think about if you have kettle limitations but still want a finished batch of 5 gallons.

Have you tried www.brewersfriend.com ? It's fairly easy to figure out how to use it.

I've had decent results (beer ends up slightly sweet and pretty malty) using 10L Light Munich as 100% of a grain bill but have never taken it above 5.xx%. Due to biab kettle limitations my Dopple Bock and other high gravity beers are a combination of grain with dme. It's something to think about if you have kettle limitations but still want a finished batch of 5 gallons.

+1 on Brewer’s Friend
I wouldn’t consider 10L “light Munich”. That’s dark Munich territory (Weyermann Munich I is 6L and Munich II is 8L.
There is “Dark Munich” at 10L and another around 15L and there is a Munich 20, but that is really well past what “Munich malt” should be.

I had a thought last night. What would it take to use small whiskey oak barrels to carbonate ale in? Is it even possible? I’m not even sure it would hold the pressure of the carbonation process but if it did. That would be an excellent way to serve some craft beer to friends. Warm like in an eighteenth century pub with the oak flavors infusing from the barrel and if possible I could add addition flavors to the aging process. Let me know if I’m way out in left field on this one

You could do a cask ale in a barrel, but not really a carbonated ale.

I think many dark munich malts have enough enzymes that they can convert all their own starches to fermentable sugars, but when you're making your grain selection it might be worthwhile for you to look into that.

+1 on Brewer’s Friend
I wouldn’t consider 10L “light Munich”. That’s dark Munich territory (Weyermann Munich I is 6L and Munich II is 8L.
There is “Dark Munich” at 10L and another around 15L and there is a Munich 20, but that is really well past what “Munich malt” should be.

That's how they marketed it. https://www.skagitvalleymalting.com/specialty-series I'm only repeating how it was represented to me.

It will self convert but as you noted in an earlier post the darker malts leave the beer with a sweeter, maltier taste and this malt fits that description.

If you are a beginner to brewing (or just new to all-grain) brewing, I am not sure that formulating a recipe for an all Munich Malt beer is where I would recommend you start.

There is quite a few different malts that I see with the Munich label. The lightest Munich from Briess is 10L, and they have a 20L and 30L version. Oddly, their tech sheets list the Diastatic Power of the 10L and 30L as 40 and the 20L as only 20. I believe you need around 40 to convert, so Briess' is either too low or right at the cut off. Is European Munich higher? I know that in general, American 2-Row Barley has much higher DP values than European. I could not find the value for Weyermann with a quick search.

An existing recipe based on a "standard" base malt like Pilsner, Pale, or even Vienna would be a better place to start.

Well I have brewed before but I want to see what this beer will taste like with only the basic ingredients and one grain. I’m trying to taste the grain separate to see what I like about them but I will check those recipes though

Since dark Munich has such a wide range, I would suggest using one not more than 10L. In fact, I’d start with Weyermann Munich II at 8L. I mean if you’re going to talk about what sets the standard for Munich malt, there is no need to look further than German maltsters.

Well I have brewed before but I want to see what this beer will taste like with only the basic ingredients and one grain. I’m trying to taste the grain separate to see what I like about them but I will check those recipes though

I am not opposed to the idea of Single Malt beers. It is a GREAT way to learn and I have been wanting to brew some myself. It is more of Munich malt which straddles the line between a base malt and a specialty malt. If you have access to a light Munich malt give that a try (5-7L Weyermann seems like a good choice). For single malt beers I would suggest more like Pilsner vs American Pale vs English Pale Ale vs Vienna. To evaluate specialty grains, I would envision something like a recipe that is 90% base grain, and 10% specialty grain (Biscuit, Caramel 60L, Special B, Wheat, Golden Naked Oats, etc.). Maybe 80%/20%.

This article on Diastatic Power seems decent (though I am not sure about Munich 10 having a value of 70 and Vienna having only a value of 50). http://beersmith.com/blog/2010/01/04/diastatic-power-and-mashing-your-beer/

Just so there is no confusion, pay attention to the color rating when you're talking about malts. Be sure you know whether you're talking about Lovibond or EBC. This most often happens with Munich. Durst sells it in 20 and 40. Both are EBC, not Lovibond, equivalent to Briess light and dark. I think the darkest Munich is from Briess, at 30L.

If I was really intent on trying something like this I'd brew up a one gallon batch and see how it turned out. If it sucks you're only dumping a gallon and maybe six bucks plus your time. If you like it, repeat it upscaling the recipe.

I've choked down some bad beer determined not to dump any. If I had only had a gallon it wouldn't have been so bad. But five, it hurt to drink it and it really hurt the wallet.

All the Best,
D. White

before i modded my oven i was kilning my homemalt at ~200f for 12 hours, making it like a dark munich. made great beer.

(just got bored with it eventually, but yes very sweet and malty...as balrog said everyone likes something different, i loved it at first. just 3 years of drinking the same thing :))

What size batch?
so thatch came in a little over 5 gallons, I put US nugget 1 .oz 60 min to boil and German nugget 1 oz. 15 minutes to boil and I added 12 oz. of honey 5 min. left of boil I did 2 weeks of primary and 3 days of a diacetyl rest and now the beer is at 1.050 and one week into my cold crash my question is to anyone depending on fg how much sugar should I add for carbonation

Attachments

• munich_lager_1.jpg
    munich_lager_1.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 41
Munich II? Good choice. It''s probably come across as sweet even with good attenuation, just due to the maltiness, but should be a solid beer.

As far as sugar, from my bottling days I seem to recall 2/3 to 3/4 cup of sugar as being good for 5 gallons.

Thank you is cleaner than I expected I used gelatin during secondary I barely had enough yeast salvage for my next project which be an all chocolate muntons malt with cocoa nibs should be good I will post the first glass as soon as I can but I hope to lager it for a few months after carbonation is achieved.

Thank you is cleaner than I expected I used gelatin during secondary I barely had enough yeast salvage for my next project which be an all chocolate muntons malt with cocoa nibs should be good I will post the first glass as soon as I can but I hope to lager it for a few months after carbonation is achieved.
Yes, don't skimp on the lagering. I look forward to seeing it.

Back