Thermometer to measure temps during fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rydia131

Reaction score
What do people use to easily measure temps during fermentation? Are the sticker crystal therms relevant or are they beat used in combo with another thermometer? Thanks!!

I've never had an issue with the crystal ones. Except the damn krinkles in it, because I put it to high on me jug. Dammit! But, I keep another thermometer in the brewery room as well. Maybe off by one degree.

The stick on ones have proven to be suprisingly accurate. There's a thread where yooper did a test & they were bloody close.

Same here with the stick on temperature strips. I tested it after setting up my fermentation fridge. The temperature of the wort/beer is always within a degree or two of what the sticker is showing.

Cool. Thanks for the answers! I guess the stick on therms almost seemed too easy and since they came with a kit i guess i just assumed there was better out there. I like that theyre pretty cheap too! Do most people just cover them with duct tape to protect them?

If you're going to use the fermenter in a swamp cooler,cover the temp strip with clear packing tape. That should seal it against the water. Otherwise,there's no need to cover it.

unionrdr said:
If you're going to use the fermenter in a swamp cooler,cover the temp strip with clear packing tape. That should seal it against the water. Otherwise,there's no need to cover it.

So just to clarify...the amount of water that would come into contact with the thermometer while cleanin the fermenter wont mess it up?

Man, where was this thread three days ago? I didn't think to do this and now my thermometer is useless (and I assume ruined). First rookie mistake. Good thing I have a second thermometer. And good thing they're cheap!

So just to clarify...the amount of water that would come into contact with the thermometer while cleanin the fermenter wont mess it up?

Per the Fermimeter instructiions in http://tkachenterprises.com/Products.html "The Fermometer™, like all LCD thermometers, is water resistant, not water proof. While it can easily be rinsed or washed with traditional cleaning and sanitizing solutions, it should not to be continuously exposed to these or other solutions for extended time periods." But mine was ruined by condensation from low temperature fermentation (arount 58 degrees), so I try to keep water away from it as much as possible.

I bought a fermometer but I found that I needed to get down on my knees to be able to read it and if the light was wrong I couldn't read it at all. Then I washed a fermenter bucket too vigorously and destroyed it. With 4 fermenters replacing the fermometers was getting out of hand. I bought a non contact infrared thermometer for another reason but soon found that I really liked that for monitoring the temperatures. I didn't need to get down on my knees to read it. In fact, I don't even need to turn a light on for the reading, the infrared thermometer can read the temp from across the room, aimed by a laser dot and the readout has a backlight so I can see the reading in a dark room. About $14 on Ebay. Handy for other readings too and really quick.

mine was ruined by condensation from low temperature fermentation (arount 58 degrees), so I try to keep water away from it as much as possible.

I agree. Had one that was ruined with normal cleaning/rinsing after one use. I get nervous every time I clean now... Lol

Back